Anya's Home

The trip back home was a peaceful affair with Anya sitting at the backseat and watching the passing scenery. It was only when you and your family were just about to enter the apartment that you encountered Mrs. Higgins, a kind neighbor living two doors down the hall, just as she was about to head down the stairs.

"Roze, Loid, hello!" greeted Mrs. Higgins. "So nice to see you both out and about as always."

"Mrs. Higgins," you smiled back as your husband lifted his hat off to give her his own greetings. "Are you heading out somewhere?"

"Yes. I'm off to meet my friends from the book club." Then her eyes landed on Anya who immediately moved to hide behind Loid. "Oh my! And who is this adorable little girl with you?"

"This is Anya, our daughter," Loid told her.

The old woman straightened to look at him before shifting towards you. "You have a daughter?"

"It's a recent development," you simply said.

Mrs. Higgins eyes widened at the implication. "Oh. Oh! I see, I see." The woman smiled at you both, her palm on her cheek. "Such a wonderful couple you are! If only there are more couples like you then there'd be less lonely children in this world."

"Thank you for your kind words," was all you can say, smiling. Honestly, you didn't expect such words from the older woman, thinking she'd be one of those housewives who looked down on children like Anya. You were glad to know that she was no such person.

Your neighbor leaned down to look at Anya in the eye. "You are a very fortunate girl to have Roze and Loid as your parents, dearie. So be a good daughter and don't cause them too much mischief now, alright?" And with a last pat on Anya's head, she excused herself and finally ambled away.

"She's nice," Anya piped in after a beat.

You nodded. "She is."

.

"Wow~!" Anya gasped in delight, running inside the spacious apartment that you and your husband had been living since the start of your marriage. "Anya's home?"

"That's right." You couldn't help smiling at her antics.

Anya spotted the large TV on the living room. "A TV!" she gasped again, running towards it.

"Feel free to turn it on," Loid said, closing the front door as he placed his hat by the coat rack.

As you started removing your heels to slip into more comfortable slippers, you saw Anya turned the device on.

"The adventure anime, Spy Wars!"

She pointed at the screen.

"Anya loves this!" she declared before turning to watch the show. "So exciting..."

You tried not to laugh at the look on Loid's face. A daughter of a spy watching a spy show. How ironic indeed.

Your husband sighed and decided to put his hat back in his head. "I'm heading out for a bit for small errand."

You hummed at that. "I guess I better start making us something then." You turned to him. "By the way, we're running out of bread and milk for tomorrow's breakfast. Remember to buy some on your way back, will you?"

"Will do."

Anya suddenly ran to him.

"Adventure!" and she jumped to cling on his feet just as he was putting on his hat.

"It's not! I'm just doing groceries!" He tried shaking her off.

You giggled at them. "Why don't you bring her with you? Show her around the neighborhood," you suggested.

Loid stared at you before sighing. "Fine."

"Yay!"