The Aftermath

The moment you two reached home, you immediately set to put everything back into its proper place.

Now, you knew it wasn't exactly a good idea to head back home in case the enemy comes back, but you trusted your husband to take care of everything. He was a spy after all, and the best one, it seemed. While you never really took interest in the country's affairs despite your family's heavy involvement in politics, even you were aware of the a man who called himself "Twilight". A master spy hailing from Westalis and was reportedly the best of the best among their crop.

So with Loid in the picture, you knew that the two of you will be alright. Besides, you and Anya couldn't really go to your family or your friends' house looking like a mess. They would ask too many questions, starting with Anya's presence. You still haven't told them about the whole adoption thing.

Speaking of your family and friends, you really should do something about that. Perhaps a house party to celebrate Anya's adoption? Hmm...

But but to topic at hand, you decided to spend your excessive energy cleaning while Anya, whom you had dropped in the living room and had given a snack for her to enjoy, simply watched you went around the house to clean in confusion.

Soon enough, your husband was back from his 'outing'.

"I'm home," Loid announced, pausing as he took in the whole place, "...?"

Setting the phone receiver back to its cradle, your head popped out behind the wall in the hallway. "Welcome back, love," you greeted warmly.

"..." Placing his hat and coat by the coat hanger, he gingerly stepped into room and kissed you on the check. "Yes, sorry if I took a while. I got distracted with the incident downtown."

"Oh, really? What happened?" you asked.

"Some thugs fighting each other. Police were all over the place," he said as he sat on the couch next to Anya who paused from watching the cartoons on the TV to look at him.

You took a sit on the armchair and began to serve the two of you some tea. Thankfully, it was still warm. "I see. Well, good thing the police arrived to stop them. It's never to good to have violence happening in your neighborhood."

Loid stared at you as you calmly passed him a cup of tea and watched you took a few sips on your own.

"So...did anything interesting happened while I was away?" Loid asked offhandedly.

You gave him a glance. Clearly he was trying to extract information from you. But you already decided not to tell him what happened today. You knew your husband would ask too many questions you weren't ready to deal with - like mentioning the motives behind the kidnapping. You weren't supposed to know about his other job, after all. Obviously, your silence on the matter would be suspicious to him, but hopefully he'd let it go. There would be no point, unless he'd rather expose himself by insisting to grill you. Besides, he'd assume that you probably didn't want to remember anyway.

So...you looked him in the eye and began spouting half-thruths through your teeth.

"Nothing interesting, I guess? I mean, we watched a movie earlier. It was pretty boring though so I ended up falling asleep," you told him with a shrug. "When I woke, our Anya here ended up making a mess so I decided to clean."

Then you glanced at your daughter who blinked at you, hoping she'd read the unspoken plea in your eyes.

"Right, sweetie?"

Please agree with me.

Anya seemed to jump in her seat, her eyes widening slightly as she stared back at you.