Chapter 1

Satan sits atop his tall throne within hell, staring off into the distance of the ashy landscape. As an ember hit his cheek he scoffed, shaking off all the ash that had gathered upon him. He stared up at the black sky and pondered his escape. He had waited for millennia to feel as though it was safe to travel to Earth, and finally, on this day he deemed it safe. With a deep inhalation of the smoky air, his wings sprouted from his back and he thrust himself upwards.

He arrived in a green, grassy meadow. He looked around, inhaling the fresh, healthy air of the realm. He shape-shifted into a harmless, innocent-looking child to ease through peacefully. He knew how much the humans despised him.

A young black-haired girl with bright blue eyes and a face spotted with a few moles ran through the bright green meadow with a beaming smile on her face. She giggled and jumped and spun around, content. She enjoyed the slight breeze paired with the warmth of the sun, the smell of the fresh air, and the feeling of the wind blowing through her hair and white dress. She squeezed the toes of her bare feet on the grass, feeling the morning dew dampen her feet.

She squinted her eyes in confusion at a figure she saw in the distance. As she came closer, she found that the figure was small, her size, and became excited to have another kid to play with. With joy, she ran over to the other kid and gleefully greeted him.

"Hello! What's your name?" She smiled innocently.

The boy tilted his head at her, his aura ethereal.

"My name...? It's Lucifer..wh-what's yours..?"

She grinned, "My name is Yve!"

Lucifer nodded, "Okay, Yve,"

She held out her hand, "Would you like to come play with me?" She asked.

"Mm-mm!!"

He could barely manage to give a nod in response before she grabbed his hand and dragged him forward, giggling and paying no attention to his anxious expression. The two would play together constantly after their initial meeting, Lucifer often visiting her house.

One day, she turned to him with a concerned face and asked, "How come I've never seen your home or your parents...?"

Lucifer looked nervous, almost like he was trying to hide something...he eventually responded, averting his gaze.

"I...I'm an orphan..?" He squeaked, pronouncing it like a question.

Yve looked like she was about to cry, but felt determined to keep strong for him.

She hugged him, "I'm sorry Luci.." She told him, using her friendly nickname for him.

His face burned as his cheek lay against her shoulder, held tightly in her unrelenting embrace.

"I-it's okay...I'm not sure I like my family very much anyway.." he gave her a reassuring smile, but there was pain behind his eyes.

She sighed, deciding not to press him.

"Alright."

And that was the end of the conversation. No such conversations happened again. For years, they remained close friends.