_. [5]

Allura and Coran had decided to hold a large, open party with all of the Arusians. The castle door was wide open, and they were all gathered in the central area of the castle. It was a circular area, with large stairs leading up to the rest of the castle. The paladins, Allura, and Coran remained inside, mingling together.

I remained outside, standing at the entrance of the castle. I had strongly advocated against leaving ourselves so open, but the two Alteans insisted it was safe and "only the polite thing to do" for the Arusians. I had only agreed after a period of back and forth as long as we tightly secured the rest of the castle, and I remained on guard at the front of the castle. They thought it was ridiculous, but conceded, as they both knew me well enough not to argue. I scanned the area.

The fact that Sendak's body had not been found had been bothering me since Allura had given me a summary of events since her awakening. They had not bothered to look, but Shiro and Pidge had investigated the ship earlier today and found no sign of Sendak or his crew. With the castle being so open, I was worried. The Alteans continued to tell me I was being paranoid, but the sinking feeling in my gut made me anxious. My gut feelings are not often wrong.

"Hey, how's it looking?"

I turned, finding Shiro behind me.

"Quiet," I mumbled, continuing to scan the area around us.

"I was wondering why you weren't at the party," he said, "have you been out here the whole time?"

"Yes," I replied, "I have a bad feeling about leaving ourselves open like this."

He chuckled, crossing his arms as he came up next to me, scanning the area as well. "Me too. I've got a gut feeling."

My eyes flickered toward him, "So do I. Something bad is going to happen, and we're practically welcoming it."

"I don't know about that," he sighed, "but I've got a feeling we need to be keeping an eye out."

"You have good instincts," I commented, "I understand why Allura entrusted the black lion to you."

"Really?" He asked, looking at me. I kept my gaze outward.

"You are the only natural leader within this group. For what she had to work with," I turned to look at him, half-smiling. "you were a good choice."

He chuckled, smiling. "Thanks. I get the feeling you don't give compliments like that often."

"Ohh, ouch," I laughed dryly, sucking air in through my teeth. "Genuine compliments are hard to come by in general. I make it a point to only compliment when it's genuine."

"That's a good philosophy."

"Makes it hard to make friends though," I chuckled. "When you've got a whole army under you and you've only ever complimented a few of them, it can make for some resentment."

"A whole army?"

"I was the general of the Altean army," I smiled, looking down. "I was young and had to command respect. It got me somewhere, being how I am."

I sighed, "I miss it, I won't lie... Coran is the engineer, Allura pilots the ship, and you guys are the paladins of Voltron."

I pursed my lips, hesitating. "I can't help but feel like my whole life turned upside down. I used to be so important, I had total control. But now... I can't help but feel like I have nothing to contribute to the group. Except for combat training, which you guys won't even use, I'm just usel-"

"Hey, Shiro!"

Pidge spoke from behind us, and we both turned to face 'him' at the same time. Shiro and I made eye contact and I smiled, embarrassed.