Relationship Problems and Incest Pt. 2

"What were you working on?" I asked, lying on the bed next to Ryder. "I want to know."

As his wife, even as his fake wife, I should probably know more about his work.

He ran his fingers through my hair, and I immediately shivered. "This. The Vhampyrs sent this cryptic message to me."

He took out something from his pocket. It was a piece of paper.

I took it from him and read it. "Your mom?" I asked questioningly.

"That's all that was written on there. What do you think it means?"

I looked at the paper from left to right. It looked like a regular piece of paper, but maybe...

I walked forward and put the paper near the window, allowing the sunlight to hit it.

Words appeared on the previously blank areas of the paper. Now it says: I'm sleeping with your mom.

I handed it back to Ryder. "There must be some deeper meaning to this." I said.

He nodded in affirmation. "What do you think it is?"

I laid back down on the bed and he wrapped his arms around my body. We were silent as we thought, though I could barely think when he was right next to me. Gosh darn it. Why am I so affected by him?

"Maybe the Evil One is sleeping with your mom." I suggested, my voice almost becoming a whisper.

He stilled. "Impossible. My mom passed away."

An idea was starting to form. "But how do you know she's really dead?"

"Because the Evil One burned her corpse right in front of me."

"Maybe that was another person's corpse. Maybe your mother is still alive." I said, turning to face him.

He looked at me, and after a while, he shook his head. "No. There's no way he would lie to me about something like that. Let me see the paper again."

He looked at the paper and studied it closely. He squinted a few times, made a few noises. Finally, I couldn't take it anymore.

"What do you see?" I asked impatiently.

He looked perplexed. "I don't know. It doesn't work if I skip to every other letter, or to the first consonant of each word. Maybe sleeping together isn't an allusion to sex. Maybe the Evil One is dead."

I looked up at him. "Really?"

He ran his fingers through his hair. "I don't know, babygirl." He sighed. I wanted to wipe the sadness off his face. "But if he was dead, the war would be cancelled, and it isn't. It would be really helpful if I knew someone from the Vhampyr's inner circle. Like, the Evil One's son or something."

That was when I remembered. "Wait. I think I know someone."

"Who?"

"Jake. He's the Evil One's adopted son."

"I knew it." He whispered under his breath. Then, he got up. "Why didn't you say so? Let's go find him."

~~~~

We found Jake sitting near the pool with Chris.

"Jake." I said. Everyone on the table looked up.

He immediately burst into a smile. "Hi. Listen, I'm really sorry-"

"You're the son of the Evil One, right?" I asked.

Jake looked confused. "What are you talking about?"