[39] The long weekend

"

"...And then I met you"

⋆✧⋆✧⋆

"So, where is everyone going this weekend?" Beth asks the group as she bites the head off a gummy worm.

We have a long weekend coming up and everyone takes this time to go home to their families and catch a break from school.

"Well, Chase and I are going back home to our parents and Jemma is coming, of course," I explain.

"Mason is taking me on a skiing trip," Daisy gushes.

Harper scowls jokingly. "Lucky, Beth planned nothing for us."

"Hey! I tried to get out of staying with my parents but they had the whole weekend planned and booked, you know I couldn't say no. Plus, I invited you and you couldn't come," Beth defends herself.

Harper just laughs at her girlfriend and kisses her on the cheek lovingly. "I'm joking, babe. You know I love you and your family, but I already agreed I'd go see my dad."

Aspen, Owen, and Luke all announce that they're just going home to their family and Theo talks about the trip he's taking with the hockey team he's coaching, "The kids are really excited, they have a list of all the things they want to do."

"What about you Sterling? Are you going home to see Charlotte?" Mason questions.

"No, actually. My dad is taking her on a trip with his girlfriend, Nancy. It's a week and a half long so I couldn't go, I'd miss too much school and hockey practice. I think I'll just stay here and have the house to myself."

I try and ignore the pang in my chest when I hear his plans for this weekend. I know him, and as much as he's acting completely unaffected, I can tell he's disappointed. I mean, no one, not even Sterling, wants to spend a long weekend alone doing nothing.

So, before I can stop myself, words fly out of my mouth. "Why don't you come home with me then."

Oh shit.

Why would I do that?

Yes, I am actively ignoring him because I'm terrified of talking about the kiss that's currently hanging over both our heads.

Yes, I did just invite him to stay with me for a few days and meet my parents.

Fantastic plan, you fucking idiot.

Jesus, Laney. Get a grip.

"Really?" Sterling's eyes go wide.

I feel everyone else's eyes on me too and I curse myself for not thinking before I speak. I'm pretty sure everyone in the group knows about the kiss. Obviously, Chase and the girls do because I told them, but judging by the guys' reactions right now, Sterling did the same.