1959 - What Do We Have Here?

Okay, so I have to add this video. It's the Elvis 2022 movie version of "Edge of Reality." WOW. It's a decent remake, and I think it matches the theme of the story just like the original. It adds a little more to Elvis's desperation and desire to find out more about Meara, and how he's been left in the darkness regarding this whole situation.

~ ~ ~

January 20, 1959

"Sergeant Presley, congratulations."

Being titled Sergeant felt better than being awarded a gold record. I shook the hand of my superior and then saluted him. "Thank you very much, Sir."

"You are very welcome. You have proved yourself to be a remarkably good soldier. Dismissed, Sergeant."

I couldn't help but let out a little smile in gratitude as I saluted again, thanking him once more, and left the office. Out in the hallway, I pulled my hat off and ran my hand through my dirty-blonde hair that was started to get a bit long. I would have it cut pretty soon, and every couple months until returning home. I wanted to have my hair grown out to its usual style when I return home.

"Wow, this is really somethin'..." I muttered and saw three of my fellow soldiers coming my way, all decked out in their uniforms, hats and all. They were a part of my battalion—the 1st Medium Tank Battalion, 32nd Armor. They saw me and grinned.

"Hey, Presley, would you look at you, huh?" one of them by the name of John Brooster said and took hold of my arm. "Look at those pretty colors."

I grinned as the four of us looked at the new stripes on my green uniform arm. "Yeah, I know, I can hardly believe I've gotten this far," I told them. "It's pretty surreal."

"Hey, you've earned it," said Bradley Taylor, another of the three. "I've always known that you would outrank us."

"Could be his title as the King of Rock 'n' Roll," said the third guy named Ed Howard, and Bradley elbowed him.

"Hey, that has nothin' to do with it and you all know it. Presley here earned 'em straight."

Bradley was from the South like me, so he had a similar accent to mine. We got along pretty well since we bonded over the fact that we grew up about twenty miles away from each other and had no idea until we met once I entered this battalion.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm just joking," said Ed. "Congrats, soldier."

He took my shoulder and shook it. I grinned again, and we headed out of the hallway and to the main lobby to the military offices here in Bad Nauheim. These guys were my buddies and treated me like one of their own, not the star that I was. In fact, most of the men I worked with treated me as an equal and didn't give me special treatment. Of course, that could be attributed to the fact that I never wanted special treatment and wanted to eat and sleep where the other soldiers did. I rented out a house, but that was mainly for Dad who was in Germany as well.

We made it out to the green army vehicle in the parking lot and got in. It could fit six men. Ed took the wheel, and we started to head back to our quarters. I grinned and eyed my new sergeant colors on my uniform. I was very proud of my new ranking, and I knew that Dad, as well as Momma up in heaven, would be proud of me as well.

~ ~ ~

September 13, 1959

"So, you still throwin' that party at your place this weekend?" asked Bradley as we and the boys were on the field for combat training, and other soldiers were in the field with us. It had been a very long past eight months since becoming Seargent.