1963 - Party in the Basement

Thank you all so much for all the views! I'm glad you all are enjoying the story!

Note for this chapter: Elvis didn't add the colorful fabric to the pool room and didn't redo the TV room into what it is today until the 70s, so in the 60s, the two rooms would have looked like your average downstairs rooms. At least, that's my guess. Also, Viva Las Vegas and Roustabout came out in 1964, but were filmed in 1963.

~ ~ ~

It was good to be home, and I knew that I would be home for a little while until I would start on my next film Roustabout. Honestly, doing all of these films was driving me crazy, and I had no other option but to take sleeping pills and other pick-me-ups just so I could get through it all. I really just wanted to take a break for a few months, but I couldn't do that. I had to be back on the road in two weeks. At least I had that long to rest.

"Elvis, get your head in the game!"

Well, relax as far as being at home. I had my gang with me downstairs in the pool room that was off from the main room in the basement. My cousin and bodyguard Sonny West was standing there with a cue pole, and Red West, another cousin, and my best friend Charlie Hodge were there as well, doing the same. We started a game while Patsy, Joe and Jerry were in the other room. This was my first night back, and the Memphis Mafia and I were having a party. Cilla was nowhere to be seen. She left the house around five hours after I got back, and that was two hours ago. I hadn't seen her since. She said she was meeting a friend.

"Cool it, Sonny, I'm payin' attention," I quipped and shot a red ball into one of the holes. Charlie made his shot, and he sunk the eight ball. We all groaned.

"And he does it again," Red whined, and I slapped a hand on Charlie's shoulder.

"Hey, I was supposed to do that, you know," I said, and he shrugged.

"Sorry, Elvis. I couldn't help it. It was right there."

"Help it next time."

He grinned, amused, and I patted his shoulder again. Yes, I was a bit irritated that he didn't let me win like the others aways did. People always let me win—I just had to kick them in the shins to remind them sometimes. My cousin Patsy complained that she had bruises all over her legs because of it.

"New game?" Sonny proposed. "We'll make sure you get the eight ball, Elvis."

He said that in a somewhat mock tone, and that made my chest pinch in annoyance. "You knuckleheads better!"

The guys were used to my little outbursts. Dad said I always had a bad temper, ever since I was a small thing. As I became an adult, it manifested more frequently and more boisterously. Sadly, I acted in such a way to my momma, which I regretted fully.

Billy set up the balls again. I watched as I stood there, leaning against my cue stick. Charlie asked me, "So, Elvis, I heard that Ann-Margaret is gonna show up pretty soon. How's that gonna blow over with Cilla?"

Ann-Margaret was the co-star in my last movie Viva Las Vegas. She was an incredible actress, and I was incredibly jealous of her fame and talent. Regardless, I fell head over heels. As usual. "She knows about Ann. And she's supposed to show up next week."

"I hear you wanna call her 'Rusty,'" said Sonny. "That's her character's name, right?"

"Yeah. She said she likes it better than 'Red.' I don't blame 'er, though. Rusty fits 'er better since it's her hair color."

The pool table was all set, and we got to it. The clock on the wall chimed midnight, but we played on. These parties usually lasted into the wee hours of the morning. As I was prepared to take my first shot, someone put a hand on my arm. I looked over to find my gorgeous girlfriend Cilla there.