Class

My breath caught in my throat as our eyes stayed locked on each other. I couldn't put my finger on it but he seemed familiar even though I had never met him before.

Ms. Larky smiled. "Class, please welcome Annabeth, Percy, Piper, Jason, Hazel, Frank, Leo, and Nico."

Each of the shadows nodded when their name was called except for Nico who was still staring at me.

April shrieked. "Leo is cute," she whispered to me.

I shrugged. "He's alright."

"Alright? He's hot."

"Ok, for those of you who will be touring with the shadows, please come up and get your shadow for the day."

April immediately shot up and ran to Leo and began flirting.

I slowly rose from my seat and walked over to the kid in the aviator jacket. I shoved my hands into my pockets as he studied me. "Um," I said trying to break the ice, "you're Nico right?"

He nodded still not saying anything.

I cleared my throat. "I'm Shelby."

"I know," he spoke softly.

I frowned. "What?"

"Your name was on the paper I was given."

"Oh." I rubbed the back of my neck feeling a bit self conscious.

"Yeah..." he said looking down sadly.

I frowned. "Is something wrong?"

He shook his head. "No, I'm fine."

The look on his face said he was most definitely not fine but I didn't push him. I hesitated. "Um, so, do you want to get going? I mean, Ms. Larky wouldn't mind. Homeroom is just basically a big social hour any ways so..."

He nodded. "That'd be nice."

I nodded. "Let me grab my things." I smiled at him before turning around and walking back to my desk followed by April.

She smiled at me. "So, what do you think about your shadow?"

I shrugged. "He's alright, but I have the strangest feeling that I know him from somewhere."

"Maybe he just looks like someone you knew."

I shook my head. "That's just the thing, I don't think that I've ever seen anyone like him. And his scent, it seems really familiar. It's like the one on my jacket."

"So cinnamon and vanilla?" she asked cocking her head.

I nodded. "Exactly like that." I glanced up at the clock. "I should probably get going. Don't want to be late for Greek."

She patted my back. "Go get 'em my little Greek Freak."

I laughed. "That'll never get old." I turned towards Nico and walked to him. "Ready?"

He nodded and opened the door for me.

I smiled and walked out into the empty hallway.

Nico looked around the vacant space. "Is there a reason that we're leaving early?"

I shrugged. "Not really. But my locker and next class are on the other side of the campus so it's good to get a bit of a head start."

"What's your next class?"

"Ancient Greek. I know it's a dumb class, but it's the only one I excel at."

He smiled a smile that lit up his whole face. "Me too."