A Start a Warning and a New Companion

We ended up playing hacky-sack with an apple (which I sucked at).

Nico was a pro, bumping it to me off his head, foot, arm, hips, even his nose.

I was lucky to even hit it.

I groaned in frustration as I dropped it yet another time. "I suck!"

He laughed. "No you don't!" He passed it to me again.

I tried to hit it off my elbow but I missed completely and it fell to the ground adding another bruise to its current dozens. "I would not want to be that apple," I mumbled picking it up and tossing it to Nico.

He caught it and threw it back.

I snatched it out of the air and slipped it into my backpack. "But shouldn't we seriously get going?"

Nico sighed and nodded. "This is the part I hate most about quests: getting started."

"Well, you said that the underworld is in Los Angeles right?" I asked. "So if we just keep going west, then we're bound to make it there some time, right?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I suppose so."

I looked around and grinned. A bus station was just on the corner. "Wait here, I'll go buy some tickets."

Nico looked like he wanted to protest, but nodded and sat down on a bench.

I walked up to the counter. "Hi."

The lady smiled at me making her whole face light up. Her eyes were so dark they were almost black, and they seemed to twinkle as if they had captured all the stars in her eyes. Her hair was a blonde like mine, almost the same shade even, and it seemed to shine in the sun. "Hi there, what can I get you?"

I looked up at the board. The furthest west destination they had here was western Ohio with a pit stop in Pennsylvania, and it wasn't cheep either. I breathed in deeply. "Can I please have two tickets to Cincinnati?" I dug my hand into my pocket for the money.

"That's an awful long way. Where you headed?" She typed some stuff into her cash register.

"Um, I'm off to Los Angeles." I glanced back at Nico.

"Is your mom with you?" she asked looking at me with those dark eyes that were achingly familiar.

I frowned and shook my head. "No ma'am."

She nodded and handed me the tickets. "Okay. Here are your tickets, have a safe trip." She closed the window's shutters.

"But I... I still have to pay..." I frowned. "Well that was odd." I walked back to Nico and handed him his ticket.

He took it. "How much was it?" He asked looking at it.

"Actually, the lady just gave it to me."

"For free?" He raised an eyebrow skeptically.

I nodded. "Yeah. She didn't ask me for my money. It was weird."

He nodded. "Well, I'm not about to turn down a free ticket. So far so good."

"Don't say that," I warned. "We don't want to jinx this."

He snorted. "We're demigods, we're always jinxed."

I didn't respond to that.

He sighed and slumped down closing his eyes. "When is this bus supposed to get here?"

"Half hour," I answered monotonously.

He sighed. "Might as well get comfortable then; we are going to be here a while."