Chapter 12

The major Witch-hunt of the 17th century was a turning point in hunter history. Advances in weaponry as well as more understanding of Witches and Wolves alike brought about a peak season, successfully reducing numbers down to manageable levels. Werewolves, only making up a small fraction of executions, instead provided a large number of specimens for studies and experimentation. Most of what we know today comes from the brave hunters of this time.

Hunter’s Codex, Hunter’s code of conduct pg. 1012   

    I probably should have stopped while I was ahead, but I was getting desperate. I couldn’t go much longer without proper sleep. I stood there holding her bag as she stared at me, worry crossing her features. 
    “I don’t know, I would hate to     take up more of your time. Besides, no offense, but we’ve only met a few times. I don’t know if I should let you take me home.” She gave a nervous laugh and stood up, still clutching her phone. 
    “None taken.” I hand her bag back and walk with her to the door. “Could we exchange numbers? You can always give me a call if you need anything.” I hold my phone up and offer it to her.
    “Sure, I’m okay with that.” She hands me her phone and we put our numbers in before passing them back to each other. “I’ll give you a call.” She smiles and walks out, still limping a bit on her hurt leg. 

***Michelle***

    That night Will called to see if I had made it home safe. We talked for a few minutes before I told him goodnight. Chris and Cassy never came back, they weren’t there in the morning when I woke up either so I settled into getting caught up on classwork. It was hard, still being out one arm but I made do. I kept myself busy cleaning, the lack of proper sleep catching up to me by lunch time. 
    When Cassy finally walked through the door it was late at night and I was up watching a movie on TV, not that I was paying attention to.
    “Hey, is everything okay? Y’all have been gone for a while.” 
    She must not have noticed me when she first walked in cause she jumped and let out a squeal when I spoke. “Michelle, you're gonna give me a heart attack.” She held her hand up to her chest and took a breath. 
    “Sorry, I couldn’t sleep so I thought TV might help.” 
    She gave me a worried look and made her way to the couch. She looked like a mess. “I have some pills in the cabinet of my bathroom if you want some.” She sighed as she sat down, leaning her head back and closing her eyes.
    “I assume you mean pills for sleeping?”
    “Of course.” 
    “Is everything okay?” She still hadn’t answered my question.
    “Yeah, it’s all fine. Just a family emergency.” She said.
    Standing up I made my way to her bathroom and found the bottle of pills she was talking about. It was just some melatonin so at least she wasn’t trying to drug me. 
    “Well,” I walked back into the living room and shook the bottle. “I guess I’ll take one of these and try to sleep.” 
    She reached her arm over the back of the couch and held her hand out. “Give me one of those bad boys, I think I need it tonight.” 
    I laugh and shake one into her hand before I take one myself. “Night Cassy.”
    “Night Michelle.” 
    I take my time showering and getting ready for bed, hoping the hot shower mixed with the melatonin will help me sleep. Taking a peek out of my window as I walked by I wondered if the wolf was there, but it wasn’t. I didn’t see it last night either. 
    My phone started to buzz on my night stand and I looked to see Will’s name. Smiling, I pick up and say, “Hello.”
    “Hey, still up?” 
    I laid down looking at my clock showing it past 11pm. “Yeah. Still up.”
    “Want to chat for a minute?” he asked.
    “Mhm.” I had gotten snuggled under my blankets with my phone propped against my ear. The warm shower and pills must already be taking effect. I felt cozy for once. 
    Will talked, I couldn’t really remember anything he said cause I kept dozing in and out but I remember the sounds of night going off in the background. Frogs and insects singing away to each other, soaking up the last bits of warm weather before winter really set in. He must be outside. 
    Will must not have minded me just listening cause he kept talking. His voice lulled me deeper into sleep. 
    I woke the next morning to see that at some point in the night I had fallen asleep while he talked. My call logs on the phone showed that the call was five hours long. I know for a fact I fell asleep long before then. 
    I sent him a text saying sorry, I didn’t mean to fall asleep on him. 
    A ding rang out from my phone when Will messaged back. “No worries, I fell asleep too.”
    That was the way the next couple weeks went for me. Chris would take us to school and bring us home. Will would meet me for coffee on occasion. He would call at night and I would fall asleep on him every time. I felt bad but he kept assuring me that he didn’t mind one bit. That it helped him fall asleep too.
    It was friday night, the last week of October and I was scheduled to have my cast removed in the morning. Chris was over and we had just finished having dinner and Cassy was washing the dishes. 
    “So do y’all have plans in the morning?” I needed a ride to the doctors but I was still a little uncomfortable asking Chris right out to take me somewhere. We were getting along great, almost like we used to, but I still felt weird asking him for too much.
    “Yeah, we’re having breakfast with an aunt of ours.” Cassy responded.
    “Oh.” I didn’t know what to say right then.
    Chris must have noticed, he looked up from where he was sitting and gave me a small smile, “What’s up?”
    “It’s nothing, I have a doctor’s appointment in the morning to get this thing removed.” I held up my arm, still in its cast.
    “I can always let her know we’ll be late.” Chris said.
    “No, it's okay. I’ll call a cab. Go have fun with your aunt.” 
    Chris dug in his pocket and pulled out his wallet. “Here, let me at least pay for it.” 
    “No! I don’t want your money Chris.” I laughed and pushed his hand away that he offered with a few bills. “I’ve got enough for cab fare.”
    “Are you sure? I feel bad not being able to take you.” He still had the money in his hand ready to give it over the moment I asked.
    “Yes, I’m sure. Besides, it’s my fault for not planning ahead and asking sooner.” I watch as he puts the money back in his wallet. 
    “If you say so.” He mumbled, still not sure if he shouldn’t force me to take it anyways.
    “I’m gonna go ahead and go to bed. Have an early morning.” 
    “Goodnight!” Cassy yelled from the kitchen, putting the last plate up in the cabinet. 
    “I’m going to head out too.” Chris said. “Night.”
    When I got to my room I sat down by my pile of books next to the window and looked out into the woods. I saw green eyes staring back at me and Will’s face crossed my mind. It wasn’t him though, it was just the wolf. It was back, just sitting there staring up at my window.
    When it locked eyes with me it stood up and walked deeper into the woods, leaving.
    Seconds later my phone rings. I answered it, knowing already who it was. “Hey.”
    “Hey, big weekend?” Will asked. 
    “Yeah, I have an appointment in the morning to get this stupid cast off.” I put the phone on speaker and went to the bathroom to wash my face.
    “Do you need a ride?” Will laughed when I tried to answer with my rag over my mouth. “I didn’t understand you just then. Was that a ‘yes Will, I would love for you to give me a ride. Could you also be there for emotional support as they take the cast off’ that I just heard?” He chuckled again.
    I dried my face off before answering him again. “I think you misheard, what I said was I planned on taking a cab. But what you said works too.” 
    “Awesome, what time do I need to pick you up?” I could hear the smile on his face when he asked.
    “My appointment is at 10:15am.”
    “So I’ll be there by nine.” he said.
    “That’s kind of early, but sure.” I responded.
    “It’s a date then.” 
    I laughed at him, “No, it’s an appointment.” 
    “Same thing.” 
    I laid down in bed, phone still on speaker and texted him my address. “I trust you not to murder me, okay?”
    “I could never hurt you.”