Chapter 3

Hunters are to carry themselves with pride and dignity. Our job is to protect humanity from the invasive species unknown to the command man. We are to hold ourselves true and just in all decisions and act according to the bylaws. Hunters are the only protection to humans and ecosystems alike from werewolves and others of their kind. Our jobs include intensive studies on specimens brought in, observation of known packs as well as culling defects as they happen. 

Hunter's Codex, hunter's code of conduct pg. 733

    “Here let me help you.” Chris reached out to help support some of my weight as I sat in the wheelchair to be taken to his car. “Are you okay?”
    I grimaced a bit from having to move. “Yeah, I’m fine.” The doctor had come in that morning to do his check up and let me know I was free to go. Chris has been at the hospital with me the entire time while Cassy went back home, she had classes this morning and couldn’t skip. 
    The ride to the apartment was uneventful and quiet. We didn’t do much talking, normally Cassy is the one who keeps the conversation going. It wasn’t until we were pulling up to my road that Chris finally talked. “If you need anything let me know, okay?” He looked at me sideways with a sympathetic grin. 
    “Thank you. I’ll make sure to let you know, I have a feeling I’m gonna be staying in for some time though.” I gave him a quick smile back.
    “I’ll go to your professors and make sure to let them know what's happened and pick up any work you may have.”
    “Thank you. I’ll send them an email letting them know you’ll be by their office.” 
    “You're welcome.” 
    We pulled into the drive of my apartment and Chris came around to my side to help me into the house. I can walk on my minor fracture but putting too much weight on it will keep it from healing quickly. Chris put his arm around my waist as I held onto him. I could feel my face turning red and looked down to try and focus on my steps. I must have more than a little crush on Chris cause I could feel my heart beating a little faster and I had to focus to control my breathing. It’s hard not to be attracted to him. Here he is, helping me and taking care of me cause I can’t right now. He’s always nice and gentle with me and I know he’s not like that with everyone. I’ve seen him around his frat guys and he acts just like one of the boys. 
    Chris must have noticed my breathing change and thought I was struggling with walking to the front door. “Are you hurting?” He stopped walking and gave me even more support. 
    That didn’t help my situation any and my heart just raced faster. “No, I just didn’t realize it would be this much work walking.” I tried to lighten the mood a bit by laughing at myself, hopefully making my fib believable. Although it wasn’t a complete lie, I was having a very hard time walking because I was slowly realizing just how good of a man was standing here holding me. Tightly.
    “Are you sure? I can carry you the rest of the way if you don’t feel up to it.” Chris acted like he was about to pick me up.
    “No! I can walk.” As much as I would not have minded one bit for him to carry me, I knew my poor little heart wouldn’t be able to stand it. He gave me a look I didn’t really know how to read. 
    “Okay, if you say so.” We keep making our way to the door with Chris holding me up a little more than he was at the beginning. When we made it inside Chris helped me sit on the couch and went back to the door to close it. 
    I let out a breath, leaned my head back and closed my eyes. My heart started to slowly go back to it’s normal rate. When I looked up again Chris was leaning against the wall by the front door with a small smile on his face just staring at me.
    “What?” 
    “Nothing, I was just thinking that for someone who was almost eaten alive by a wolf you look pretty good.” 
    My heart skipped a beat and I just stared for a second not knowing what to say back. “Thank you…...I think.” Why would he go and say something like that when I was just able to get myself calm from being so close to him. 
    “It was a compliment.” He pushed off the wall and walked into the kitchen. “Are you hungry?” 
    I was, but I didn’t want to tell him that. I could make something for myself after he left. “No, I’m okay right now.”
    I turned to look at him and saw him staring at me again. He took a minute before responding, “Well I’m starving, so if it’s okay I’m gonna cook a couple of these frozen pizzas. Besides, it’s still a good minute until supper so we need a snack.”
    When he said that I realized he planned on staying here until Cassy got home. This was gonna be a long day.