Chapter 31

Werewolves have always been territorial and protective of what they consider theres. At one point in time there was a clear separation between werewolf behavior and traits to that of humans. However as time has gone by, werewolves have adapted to their surroundings at a surprising rate. Blending in with the most common of people. The attempt at civilizing and containing packs in the early 1900’s only furthered their adaptability. Because of this, werewolves appear to have mellowed out and lost touch with their more animal nature. This is far from the truth, they still hold onto these instincts, even now.

Hunter’s Codex, introduction to were, pg. 17

I stood there as Will unlocked the door with his keys and let me in. The warmth that had built up in his home from earlier had already gone out so I grabbed a blanket. It was the one I had been using almost everyday, a fuzzy red and black plaid that kept all of my body heat close. I sat bundled on the couch, watching Will as he worked the fireplace back into a flame to help heat the home. 

“Wouldn’t it be easier to have central to heat the home?” A shiver ran through me under the blanket as the heat began to fill the room. 

He sat crouched in front of the fire, holding his hands out to warm his fingers. “Probably so. This place is affordable, though, and with it being just me I didn’t mind so much.”

“Hmm.” With my eyes closed, the crackling of the fireplace was lulling me into a comfort I hadn’t felt since I left home. “It’s kind of nice. The fire.” 

The couch next to me dipped in, jostling me from my thoughts. “It is nice, isn’t it?” 

“Yeah.” 

We sat for a moment, enjoying the warmth and peace of the fire and each other's company. It wasn’t long though before Will began to fidget in place. Unable to keep his thoughts to himself he finally spoke up. “What made you so embarrassed back there? When you mentioned talking to your mom.” 

I had to hold back a groan. It was wishful thinking, hoping that he wouldn’t bring it up. Looking away from him I answered, “Well, it’s just it made me think about some of the things that were said.”

“And? What were they?” 

“Just some things about you. And my mom practically told me to go for it even though she would never admit that.” 

He laughed to himself and leaned in so we were touching shoulders. “So I have your mom to thank.” 

“In a roundabout way, kinda.” I laughed with him and turned into him more, trying to get as comfortable as I could.

His fingers played at the ends of my hair. “So what all was said about me?” 

“Absolutely nothing.” 

I refused to look at him so he pulled my legs around on top of his lap, forcing me to face him. “That’s not what you said a second ago.” 

He wouldn’t let me look away and held me in place. “I just told her what I thought about you. And stuff.”

“Tell me, it won’t hurt my feelings.” 

With how close he was, I was having a hard time thinking straight. If I wanted to, all I had to do was lean forward a bit and kiss him. In fact, I wanted to. So I did.

If he wasn’t expecting it, it didn’t show. He didn’t miss a beat in kissing me back, pulling me closer to him. Kissing him again, after having gone what felt like forever, was like being able to breathe again. My hands and fingers wrapped themselves into his hair, trembling at the contact.