Chapter 30

It is said that in history past, humans and werewolves once lived together harmoniously. We find this notion to be unfounded and impossible. Humans have always been at the mercy of the more supernatural type, living in fear of what may become of them. That is why we must study and understand werewolf lore and history. To better prepare ourselves for the inevitable.

Hunter’s Codex, werewolf lore pg. 168

The Hunter’s Codex sat in front of me, the sound of the pages flipping filled the air as I looked through the chapters about werewolf history. Will had given me the book+ last night after we got back from giving one of the scientists a spit sample. The man, Mitch, was so excited to see me and get the sample. He said something about how it would be enlightening to find out more about hybrids and how their DNA compares to lycans.

Either way, I was pretty convinced I was one of these abominations the book spoke about. It was the first chapter Will showed me. He said between Alice’s feelings and what the book says, they were convinced I was mixed. It made sense, now that I think back on it, with my grandparents and how quickly they married. More than likely they were soulmates, like me and Will.

The sound of Will’s phone ringing sounded from the bedroom. I was in the living room looking through the book while he took a shower. It went silent after a moment and then picked back up only seconds later. This time when it went quiet I could hear Will’s voice in the bedroom talking to whoever was on the other line.

His voice trailed down the hallway, getting closer as he made his way into the living space. “Yeah, we can come by and talk.” He glanced at me from across the room. “Thank you.” 

I didn’t say anything, just gave him a questioning look and closed the book in my lap.

“That was the lab, they finished comparing the samples and he said he had a few things he wanted to talk about with us.” The truck keys jingled as he picked them up off the table they had been thrown on. 

Looking at me he held them up and gave them a shake. “Are you up to going now?”

“Yeah.” I let out a small grunt while standing. My muscles had gone stiff while sitting for so long, reading. 

It didn’t take long to reach Mitch’s office. He was located in town, off the main road a bit. We sat in his office, a warm space with a wall of shelves, covered in texts and binders. Most likely where he kept a lot of his studies. 

Mitch cleared his throat and opened up the file that was placed on his desk. “So, do we want the long, drawn out, answer. Or just get to the point then talk it over?” His glasses glinted in the yellow light cast by his desk lamp. 

It made it difficult to make out his eyes, but even still, there was a grin playing on his lips. Whatever the results, he was excited. Will waited for me to answer, leaving it up to me. 

“To the point, then explain.” I gave a nervous laugh. “I don’t think I could wait any longer to know the truth.” 

Mitch’s head bobbed in a short, quick, nod. “I like the way you think.” He handed me one of the sheets from the top of the file. “So, quick answer, yes. You are in fact a hybrid.” 

The sheet of graphs stared me in the face. Not sure exactly what all it meant, I glanced over it, hoping I didn’t look too ignorant.