Chapter 32

Our studies on abominations and their offspring are to be considered a failure. The offspring showed no signs of being like their werewolf parent. Even though genetic testing has proved that the gene’s are there. Once the offspring reached its fifth year, it was decided to terminate. Many feared what this may mean as others questioned if abominations were possibly a path to ridding the world of werewolves. This, unfortunately, is not something we can allow to happen, as then the human line will no longer be pure. 

Hunter’s Codex, hunter’s code of conduct, pg. 1011

The morning after was an eye opener for me. I couldn’t keep my hands off Will and he returned the feeling. Always finding a way to touch me when he walked by. Either by brushing the ends of my hair or placing his hand on the small of my back when coming to stand next to me. It’s like we were magnets, drawn to each other. 

Whenever he was in a different room there was always this nagging tug pulling me towards him, never letting me forget he was present in this world. It was weird. The moment I realized just how bad it was, was when Caden called him into the office for a few hours. He lingered at the door, having a hard time bringing himself to leave until I finally told him the longer he put it off the later it would be before he got back. 

That was a mistake on my part. I paced the house, finding everything I could that would require attention. Cleaning the bathroom. Washing the bed sheets. Keeping the fire stoked. None of it could distract me from the pull of the front door. Like a rope tied around me was trying to drag me where Will was and I was pulling against it when all I wanted to do was let it carry me across town to him. 

I found myself pacing between the living room and kitchen, checking the plants to see if they needed watered. They didn’t. I had already watered them the first hour he was gone. The tugging began to relax a bit, loosening and giving me room to breath and I marveled at this weird sensation. Then the front door clicked as it opened, drawing my steps over to see Will’s back as he shut the door. 

I took off towards him, throwing my arms around his neck and breathing in his smell. The tension from the past few hours melted away as he held me back taking in a deep breath just as I was doing.

“I missed you too.” His teased, the words muffled against my neck. 

Pulling away I searched his face, for what I wasn’t sure, but seeing nothing there of note except amusement, I was satisfied. “What’s wrong with me?”

He left a soft kiss on my lips and removed himself from my embrace so he could take his shoes off. “That would be the bond.”

I groaned and leaned against his back as he set his shoes on the shelf by the door. “I’m never going to make it through school like this.”

“If it helps any, the intensity of it will fade out a bit. Not completely, but enough.” 

“Hm.” I had already been here a few days and missed some school because of it. It was already Monday and I didn’t want to miss so many days that I would lose my credits, and in turn my scholarships. “Well it needs to get better soon or I’m gonna be a mess during my classes.”

Will didn’t say anything, just shrugged his jacket off and made his way into the kitchen. I followed him in and stood against the table watching as he opened the fridge, looking for food.

“I am going back tomorrow, aren’t I?” It worried me a bit that maybe he would try and stop me from doing the things I wanted and had planned for so many years. 

Sighing and shutting the fridge he leaned against the counter, watching me. “Yeah, of course. It just makes me a little uneasy, but again, it’ll get better over time.”