Chapter 29

Early days of the Hunter’s Code were spent decreasing interactions between humans and Lycans. The mixing of the species ran rampant and many brave hunters spent their lives dedicated to eradicating any who were affected with Lycan blood. We have since conducted research on the mixing of the two species and the results that come with it. 

Hunter’s Codex, Introduction to were pg. 27

This bond thing was no joke. All night long I struggled against the need for him. Under normal circumstances maybe I wouldn’t have struggled and just gave in, but I needed to know what this whole wolf thing was exactly before jumping in completely. It was safe to assume Will was struggling just as much as I was. He held me, like he did just this past week, but it was different. The touches weren’t as intimate or searching. It was just simple comfort and in a way, I enjoyed it just as much.
Except for the part where I struggled mentally to come to terms with everything I’ve just found out about the world, and the fact that he wasn’t making any moves. Why was it eating at me so much that he didn’t explore a bit like he did before? It’s not like I wanted or needed the pressure, but the more I thought about it the more it stewed. He wasn’t even going to try so that I could turn him away. 
Was it wrong of me to want him to try just to be rejected? Maybe it was for the best so that I didn’t feel the need to explain why I couldn’t bring myself to give that part over just yet. Even though all week I was practically begging him. Maybe that was the issue, maybe he didn’t really want me. In fact, it’s strange that all week it was him who kept holding back, even now.
“Michelle? Are you okay?” 
   Will’s voice brought me out of my thoughts. I was sitting at the breakfast nook and sipping on a cup of coffee he had made me earlier. It was delicious. Of course it would be, the man knew his coffee. 
   I gave him a small smile and went back to staring out of the window into the woods. “Yeah. I’m okay.”
   I huddled deeper under the blanket I had wrapped around my shoulders, my knees pulled up to my chest as I leaned against the wall. Will sat across from me on the other side of the nook, a cup of coffee in his hands.
   He watched me over the rim of his mug for a moment and gave a small hum. 
Sipping on the marvelous coffee some more, my attention went back to the woods. Every so often movement could be seen between the brush. A flash of brown here and a blur of gray there. It didn’t take long for me to put the dots together and realize what I was seeing. 
The sight was beautiful in its own way. Snow thick on the ground and flurries in the air. A slight breeze rustled the trees as the people of this town ran through it in the form of wolves. Most were smaller, no bigger than your average dog. When the attack happened the wolves were massive, the size of a large bear if not bigger, but these here were small. The size you would think a wolf should be. Some even as small as the coyotes back home. 
Will must have noticed the questioning look I had. “They’re children. That’s why they’re smaller than what you saw.” He said. He was watching the occasional burst of movement in the bushes. 
One blur of red sent a flock of snow birds flying into the air. Snow kicked up and sprayed as the small wolf turned and ran back into the woods, barely noticeable if you hadn’t been looking for it.
“So even the children can shift? It’s not like you have to be a certain age?” I asked. Glancing at him and taking in how relaxed he looked. It dawned on me that in all the time I’ve known him, he’s never seemed quite as at home as he did now. Relaxed and worry free. 
“Yeah. Some don’t shift for quite some time, others, as soon as they learn to crawl, are shifting. It just depends.” He set his mug down on the table and played at the handle. 
“When did you first shift?” 
His brows furrowed in thought as he continued to gaze out of the window. “I don’t really remember. I was young, I know that much. Maybe three or four.” He said. 
My curiosity was getting the better of me. It’s like a whole new world was laid at my feet for me to find out more about, so I kept asking questions. “Is there an average age that most shift?” 
He tapped his finger on the rim of his cup. “Most have shifted at least once by the time we’re school age, so that would be before five. There are still some late bloomers, though, who won’t shift until they’re almost to puberty.” He thought for a moment more. “We’ve all shifted by thirteen though. I haven’t met one older than that who hasn’t.”
“Except, maybe, me.” I threw it out there, remembering what he said yesterday.
“Except, maybe, you.” He repeated, still watching the children playing in the snow. “Do you want more coffee?”
I looked inside my coffee cup, realizing I had drunk it all. “That would be nice, please.”
Taking my cup he walked back to the coffee maker and set out to pour me another cup. “There’s a nice little diner on the edge of town that serves breakfast if you're hungry.” 
“You don’t have anything to cook here?” The thought of going out and seeing people, wolves, was a little unsettling. I wasn’t sure if I wanted to just yet.
He set the mug down in front of me and gave an apologetic look, “Not really. I haven’t been grocery shopping in quite some time. No appetite, you know. Apparently shopping for food doesn’t happen when you can’t bring yourself to eat.”
There wasn’t much to say to that so I sipped on my coffee some more. “I don’t even have any clothes here.” 
“If you want I can call Alice, see if they can bring some over?” He placed his empty cup in the sink. “Your clothes from yesterday are in the washer right now, I don’t think they’ll be done any time soon”
I pulled the blanket around me tighter. Will’s pajamas were a bit big on me, extremely comfortable and warm, but still big. “That works, I guess.” 

The snow was coming in stronger now, coating the fur lining on the jacket Alice had brought me. We were standing on the sidewalk, waiting for Caden and Will to park the car after dropping us off at the door to the diner. 
It was a small little joint, the paint on the brick chipping away in spots and the lettering on the windows faded from constant sunlight. Just a glance through the frosted windows showed the booths were well worn from use. Della’s Diner was the name. Said it served breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 
I turned to Alice as she watched Will and Caden come up the sidewalk from where they had parked the car. “Thank you for coming with us, and the clothes.”
After Will called, they showed up within the hour, Alice handing me a duffel bag of clothes she thought would be size. For the most part, she was right. Everything fit me okay, the only issue was that they aren’t mine. When I came back from changing Will asked if I was okay if they joined us for breakfast. I jumped on the opportunity, the thought of Alice being with me while in town helped ease some of my nerves. 
“No thanks needed, Caden doesn’t go out to eat often so it’s nice to have an excuse to drag him along.” She glanced sideways at me for a brief moment. “Besides, I figured you might like more company.”
“I do, thank you.” 
Caden jogged up to Alice and pulled her to him, dragging into the diner. “Why didn’t you guys wait inside? It would have been warmer.”
I followed them in as Alice answered, “We wanted to wait for you two.”
“You could have waited inside.” Will’s voice came from over my shoulder. 
Just the sound of his voice had every nerve in my body singing from anticipation. I couldn’t dwell on what that was exactly or I may drag him back to the apartment. 
Alice and Caden led the way to a booth next to one of the windows. Della’s Diner was cozy on the inside, the smell of grease and coffee clung to the air as waitresses in little aprons took orders and carried food to tables. 
One of the waitresses, a blonde with dark blue lipstick, came to our table and laid out some menus. “Good morning, Alpha. Beta. What can I get you ” 
Her eyes lingered on me for only a moment before she quickly went to write down the orders. She left after taking all of our orders and went to go grab our drinks.
We ate in peace, Caden and Will telling me about the town. The different places they had to eat, stores, how Caden’s dad made most of the decisions, kind of like a mayor. After we ate we split up, Will and I choosing to walk back to his apartment, a way to show me more of the town. 
It was only a few minutes into our walk before Will spoke up. “I’m sorry, by the way.” He had his arm around me, holding me close to keep me warm as we walked down the sidewalk, getting closer to his home. 
“What for?” My words came out a little breathless, the air puffing up around me as I spoke. This was the most walking I’d had since getting better from the attack. I hadn’t gone out on my weekend hike since then. 
“For dragging you into everything like this. It’s not how I wanted you to find out.” He worked his jaw, lost in his thoughts.
“Did you ever plan on telling me?” We worked our way around a group of small children playing on the sidewalk, making a tower of snowballs.
“Yeah. Maybe.” He thought for a moment more. “To be honest I was scared to. I even thought about never telling you and just running off and living like a human with you for the rest of our lives.” He let out a nervous laugh.
What he said had me giving him a small laugh too. “I don’t blame you. Honestly probably would have done the same.” 
His apartment came into view in the distance. If it weren’t for the feeling that everything around me was spiraling out of control then I might have enjoyed the walk more. Maybe that was my problem, I was fighting things, not just jumping in and going with it. He’s my soulmate, right? So we should be together. 
“By the way, Caden was wondering if you would be okay with a DNA test. Comparing yours with ours, see if Alice is right.” Will stepped ahead a bit to help clear the snow on the sidewalk. The further away from the heart of town we got the thicker the snow we had to walk through. 
He kicked at the snow, making it easier for me to walk through. “I guess I’m okay with that. It would be nice to know the truth too.”
“Good, I’ll let him know.” He climbed the steps and unlocked the door, holding it open for me. “After you.”