five. deb meetings & book parties

WE SPENT ALMOST the entire day shopping. I tried to appear involved and as if I was having fun, but I just grabbed whatever Susannah and Mom liked. When we were picking out our white dresses, we must have spent almost two hours searching and trying on several of the dresses. It was exhausting, but it felt nice to spend some time with just us girls. 

Belly and I change into more formal wear after we drop Susannah off back home. Then, Mom drives us to the first meeting for debs. Once we get there, we get out and say thanks for the ride. Before we get any further, however, Mom calls us back.

"Girls? I just want you to know that if you decide you hate it or if the girls are mean or even if the food is bad, you can text me. I promise I won't say 'I told you so.'"

I laugh, but Belly just seems annoyed. "We'll be fine, Mom," she groans.

"Humor me?" She tells us to use the code phrase we made up when we were little with a small smile on her face. It makes me smile too.

"Don't worry, Mom," I tell her. "We'll call if we need anything."

Mom nods, so we say bye and start walking to the meeting. We don't speak while we walk, and I desperately want to get rid of the silence.

Just as I open my mouth, Belly grins. "Hey," she calls out.

I look forward and see Jeremiah walking towards us holding towels. He doesn't seem to recognize us at first as he looks into the distance.

"Jeremiah," Belly tries again.

He stops and a look of surprise flashes across his face. He gives Belly a once-over.

"Oh my God," he says. "Wow, Belly. I didn't even recognize you."

His eyes stray towards me, and our eyes connect for a second before I turn away. They continue talking, and Jeremiah is saying how Belly looks good. I grit my teeth together to stop myself from saying something I'll regret.

"Let me walk you over."

My gaze snaps back to him, and he looks at me when he sees the sudden motion of my head. I do not want to walk over with him even if it'll only take a few minutes. He and Belly are going to be talking, and I'm going to feel like a third wheel. Which I guess I have always been.

"There's no need," I cut off whatever Belly was about to say.

Jeremiah glares at me. "I was talking to Belly."

I know that. I don't know why it still hurts when he clarifies.

I nod tersely. "Right. I'm just going to go ahead of you." I'm not looking at either of them when I say it.

And I don't look back as I start walking away from them. I speed walk so that they can't catch up to me. Not that Jeremiah would purposely walk faster just to walk beside me. I reach the door where the meeting is taking place and walk inside. No one pays attention as I walk in. I see a table where there are two seats beside each other, so I go over there. Immediately, I see both Conrad's and Steven's girlfriends at the table.

I go over to the side where Conrad's "girlfriend" is sitting. "Excuse me," I say almost hesitantly. She looks up. "Is it okay if my sister and I take these two seats?"

She smiles and nods. She continues staring at me as I sit down. "You're Danielle, right? I think we met briefly last year before the deb ball. Conrad was my escort."

I smile back at her. She seems nice enough. "Call me Dani. Nicole, is it? Conrad has told me a lot about you."

He hasn't really. I know he isn't really all that interested in her, but he's too much of a nice guy to break her heart. I think leading her on is much worse, though. Especially with the way she blushes when I mention Conrad.