twenty-two. it's you

I WAKE UP feeling something heavy on my stomach. I'm on my back with one of my arms curled around a pair of broad shoulders. I feel warm breath against my collarbone and soft curls tickling my chin.

Lowering my head, I can just barely see the top of Jeremiah's head resting on my chest with both of his arms wrapped around me. His eyes are closed, and he looks so peaceful it makes my heart swell. With a content sigh, I move my hand to his head and run my fingers through his hair.

I feel his breaths coming faster and heavier on my skin, telling me he's most likely awake. His arms tighten around me as his head moves up so that his nose is caressing the spot where my neck meets my shoulder.

Softly, he places his lips there and plants feathery kisses up my throat. My breath hitches, and I know he hears it because I can feel his smile against my skin.

Just as I close my eyes and sigh, he lifts his face and rolls over so that he's on top of me. Opening my eyes, I see his bright blue eyes ten shades darker and already staring at me. Looking over every inch of my face as if he thinks I might disappear and wants to memorize me before it happens.

But I'm not going to disappear.

I'm not going to fuck this up again.

I lift my hand to cup his cheek and brush my thumb over his jaw. His eyes flutter shut as he leans down to touch his forehead to mine. Moving my face, I peck his nose lightly and smile at him when he opens his eyes.

And fuck.

The look in his eyes is so soft and affectionate and loving, and I have no idea what to do with it. And just when I think I can't fall deeper in love with him, he smiles deep and slow. The corners of his mouth take up the entirety of his face, and I realize where the expression "smile from ear to ear" came from.

"Good morning," he whispers, sending shivers down my spine.

I trace my finger over his temple and reply, "Good morning."

He stares at me for so long that I'm sure I've forgotten how to breathe.

"I can't believe I forgot," he finally says, his breath warm on my face. He leans down slightly to just barely brush his lips against my jaw.

I lose my focus for a second, reveling in his touch, his attention, his intense gaze.

When I think back to his question, I breathe, "Forgot what?"

His smile is soft. "How much better I sleep with you in my arms."

At some point, I can't remember when, his hand snuck underneath my shirt and is now resting flat against my stomach. I feel it now, his palm warm and his fingers callused. I let out a sigh of contentment before his words settle in.

My eyes snap to his, but he's no longer looking into mine. His gaze is stolen by my mouth, and for some reason, my lips get dry all of a sudden. Poking my tongue out to swipe across my lip, I hear his breath catch and his eyes follow the movement intently.

The hand not on my waist comes up to rest on my jaw, his thumb softly brushing my bottom lip where my tongue had just been.

"Jere..."

I watch his Adam's apple bob before his head dips down. His eyes flicker to mine for just a second before they return to my mouth, his hand on my waist tightening its grip.

His lips don't even have time to brush mine when all of a sudden "Delicate" by Taylor Swift starts playing. The sound is so sudden that we both jump apart.

Looking at each other, we both burst out laughing. Jeremiah rolls off of me to turn off his phone. I turn to my side and send him an amused look.

"And you said you don't like reputation," I accused, narrowing my eyes at him even with my smile growing wider.