bonus (maisie's version)

MAISIE WAS A lot of things, and unfortunately, a coward was one of them.

When Dani first contacted her wanting to talk about Adrian, she didn't reply. For weeks, she could not stop thinking of the boy who stole her heart at the ripe age of thirteen.

They had been best friends their entire lives. Adrian was the only person in the world she could truly be herself with and not have to hide anything. There were so many expectations of her from everyone around her.

He was the only one who didn't want anything from her.

How could she possibly not fall in love with him?

His dark brown hair always standing up in awkward places and always messy. His grayish eyes with tints of green swallowing her soul every time he looked at her. His sweet, musical voice filling every single broken part of her.

He was the best thing she had ever had.

But there was no way he felt the same way. So, she got herself a boyfriend in seventh grade to get over him.

It didn't work.

She flirted with more guys, hoping one of them would make her feel even an ounce of what Adrian made her feel.

None of them did.

And then summer before junior year had rolled around and they were hanging out at their special cafe that they always went to.

They had been laughing when a girl about a year younger than them with pink streaks in her hair walked up to the two teenagers.

"Hi," she said, staring right at Adrian.

Adrian smiled and sent her a half-wave. She giggled.

Maisie wanted to rip out every single pink strand of hair from the girl's head.

It was the first time someone had ever flirted with him in front of her.

"I think there's something wrong with my phone," the girl started. "It doesn't have your number in it."

Maisie wasn't sure if she wanted to laugh or punch that smile off her face. Maybe both.

Adrian sent the girl an easy smile, opening his mouth to say something before Maisie cut him off.

She placed her hand in the crook of his arm and smiled sweetly at the girl.

"He's taken," she said, grinning smugly at the girl's wide eyes. "Sorry."

She didn't sound sorry at all.

"Oh," the girl exclaimed. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even realize."

She scurried away before either of them could say anything else. Maisie moved back to her original position and sipped on her milkshake as if nothing had happened.

Adrian turned his head, a smirk tugging at his lips.

"What was that about?" he asked.

She glanced at him briefly before turning back to her drink. "What was what about?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Why did you tell her you're my girlfriend?"

"Technically, I only said you were taken."

"And then implied that you were my girlfriend."

"So?"

He rolled his eyes in amusement. "So why did you do it?"

She let out a huff of frustration. "She was annoying. You wouldn't like her. I could just tell you were suffering over there trying to figure out what to say."