eleven. half butterfly

FOUR YEARS BACK, on my thirteenth birthday, I was greeted with a surprise when I came home from school.

I hear voices coming from the living room as I round the corner. My eyes widen when I find three people who definitely don't live here sitting on the couch. Susannah sees me first and immediately rises from her seat to walk toward me and give me a hug.

"Happy birthday, darling," she whispers in my ear as she rubs my back comfortingly.

I wrap my arms around her waist tightly and breathe in her familiar scent. I smile as I pull away, and she places a kiss on my cheek.

"ELLIE!" I hear a very familiar voice scream.

I turn my head and grin at Jeremiah and Conrad.

"Dan!" Conrad exclaims as he starts to move toward me.

Jeremiah quickly gets in his way and shoves him backward, although it's not enough to push him down. "I get to hug her first!"

"No, you don't!"

The two Fisher brothers start wrestling right there, and Susannah shakes her head at them. I roll my eyes, but there's a huge grin on my face as I watch them. Jeremiah goes for Conrad's torso, but he's too fast for him. Ducking away from Jeremiah, Conrad grabs him in a headlock before he gently shoves him to the ground. Then, he runs over to me and pulls me into his chest.

I laugh as I see Jeremiah groan on the floor and glare at his brother. As I hug Conrad back, he ruffles up my hair and pokes my stomach. I push him away and glare at him, although I'm unsure how effective it is since I'm still smiling.

"Happy birthday, Dan"

Conrad's cut off when Jeremiah suddenly lunges toward him and pushes him away as he envelops me in a bear hug. I let out a grunt but still wrap my arms around his torso. He sways our bodies back and forth, and I sigh into his chest.

"Happy thirteenth, Dani," he whispers, tickling my neck.

I lean away and grin in response. "What are you guys doing here?"

Jeremiah looks at me in disbelief. "We're here for your birthday, dumbbutt."

I roll my eyes. "I mean why did you guys drive all the way out here?"

"Jeremiah insisted," Susannah explains, a fond smile on her lips. "Said he had to see his favorite person in the world and see her reaction to his gift."

Butterflies form in my chest at Susannah's words. I turn my head to look at Jeremiah, who is staring down at me with the tips of his ears pink. The corners of his mouth tilt up as he grabs my hand and starts leading me out of the living room.

"Speaking of which," he says. "I'm gonna give Ellie her gift now."

We step through the front door and out onto the porch. Sitting down on the steps, I raise my eyebrows at him.

"I'm your favorite person, huh?" I tease.

Rolling his eyes, he beams at me. "Of course, stupid. You've always been my favorite person."

My heart swells. I want to tell Jeremiah exactly how I feel. I want to tell him I think of him as more than just a friend. I want to tell him he makes me happy and giddy and all warm inside. I want to tell him everything I like about him and even more.

The second I decide I'm going to tell him right this second before I lose the courage, he pulls out a small bag from his pocket. He holds it out toward me, so I grab it gently from his hands. I look at him in confusion, and he just smiles.