seventeen. take your own advice

"I LOVE YOU."

He stops in his tracks.

Ever so slowly, he turns around. He's staring at the ground before his eyes drag themselves up to meet mine.

In all the times I've imagined confessing my feelings to him, I never would have thought it would be like this. My skin feels hot, and each heartbeat seems to be faster than the last. I'm waiting for his next words without even realizing I'm holding my breath.

"What?"

His voice is so low that I think I may have imagined it. I didn't. His face is full of shock and confusion, and I have no idea what to make of that other emotion that seems to be hiding in his features. I rub my face and sigh quietly. I shouldn't have said anything.

"Shit," I mutter under my breath, wondering if it's too late to just walk away now.

Jeremiah moves toward me and stops once he's only a couple of feet away. "Dani," he says quietly. He knits his eyebrows together, staring down at me with determination.

I close my eyes for a second before opening them again and staring right back into his pale blue eyes.

"I love you," I repeat in a voice just above a whisper. "I've loved you for as long as I can remember. You were never just my best friend, Jere. You were so much more."

"Dani..." he trails off, looking sad all of a sudden.

"But I get it. You like Belly, and that's fine. I didn't mean it when I said I hated you. I was just frustrated with myself and being stupid. I hate myself for feeling like I have the right to love you when I hurt you two years ago."

Jeremiah stares at me, and I can see him visibly swallow. He opens his mouth as if he's about to say something.

I shake my head. "I don't expect anything from you, okay? I said what I said, and I meant it. I've got nothing to lose. You already hate me, so what more damage can I do?"

His jaw clenches. "I don't—"

"Dani?" a familiar voice calls out.

I turn around and spot Adrian waving at me with a confused expression. I send Jeremiah one last look—as he stares at me with a look I can't decipher—and then start walking toward Adrian.

✧ ✦ ✧

"YOU TOLD HIM?" Adrian practically screeches once the tournament is over and we're sitting together on a bench near the beach.

I sigh and nod, my arms crossed against my chest. I kind of regret not letting Jeremiah say anything, but if I'm being honest with myself, I don't want to know how he feels or thinks about my feelings. I don't, however, regret telling him how I feel. I feel like this huge weight has finally been lifted from my chest, and I can finally get over him.

We sit quietly together for a few minutes before I open my mouth with curiosity.

"When did you tell Maisie you loved her?" I ask, looking out at the deep blue ocean. A sense of calm washes over me as the breeze nips at my skin.

We haven't talked about his ex since the first time he brought her up. I would be lying if I said I'm not curious about their story.

Out of the corner of my eye, I catch Adrian with a soft smile tugging at his lips. "Well, technically, she said it first. And then I did."

I smile and bring my knees up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

"When did you guys get together? And when did you meet?"