10

Ava's POV xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't remember falling asleep. I get up and realize I'm still on the floor. What happened between me and Mason come rushing back and I realized why I didn't have the strength to get up. I take a quick glance at my phone and see its ten at night. I huff as I force myself to get up. When I finally manage to move my stomach growls. I forgot I ran out in the middle of dinner and didn't eat. I wonder if they will let me down into the kitchen to get something to snack on. Im sure they will they cant just starve me if I'm hungry right. I got up to leave and thought it might be best to tell Damian where I'm going. I send him a quick text as I slide my slippers on and head for the door. When I open I see Damian there his hand up in a fist like he was about to knock.

"Oh hey sorry I didn't want to wake you but I thought you should know where Im going." He slowly lowers his hands and take a step towards me. He caught me off gaurd and I almost lost my my balance, but he caught me slipping his hand around my waist while the other hand found my cheek. There were no sparks or tingles, I wished with everything in me that would change.

"What happened?"he moved closer causing me to back up causing his arm to slip off of me. His hand still remind on my face.

"Nothing" I answer. I don't understand what he's talking about.

"You've been crying." Oh, I didn't look in the mirror when I got up. My shoulders slumped and I took his hand off.

"Im hungry." I walk past him and head toward the stairs. I feel him catching up behind me walking closer than I thought he would. We stayed in silence and reached the kitchen. I walk in and thankfully no on was there. I started opening all the shelves and cabinets looking at where everything was placed. Once I got the general idea I walk over to a giant door which I can only assume is the pantry. It was huge, you walk in and its like a tiny grocery store. I look around getting the things I needed and walked back out. I look over to see they have three fridges and three freezers. I open up the first one trying to find the butter, and eggs.

"What are you making?" I heard a voice behind me ask. I glance over to see Damian sitting at the island that was in the center of the room. I look away grabbing the butter and eggs shutting the door.

"Comfort food." Was all I could manage before getting mixing bowls and pre heating the oven.

"What type of comfort food?" I was getting annoyed. I obviously didn't want to talk to anyone, and he wouldn't let it go.

"Cookies." I answered digging around to find a wooden spoon.

"Maybe you should make some real food if you didn't eat dinner." He suggested and I sighed stopping what I was doing to stare at him.

"Me and my mate can't be together. Its not enough that I cant be with him, but I also have to observe him date a bunch of other girls and watch him start to love someone else. So if I want to make cookies then I'm going to make cookies." I run my had through my hair and pull it into a pony tail using the hair tie Damian gave me earlier. we sat in silence for another minute before he broke it.

"I haven't found my mate yet, and I'm beginning to think I don't have one." I let out a breathy laugh. What was this therapy? Why are we telling each other secrets? Are we going to start braiding each other's hair next?

"Everyone has a mate." I declare, realizing I don't have the chocolate chips. I turn to go back into the pantry.

"What if I don't deserve a mate, so I wasn't given one?" I stopped mid step and slowly turn around to face him. I saw the expression on his face, he looked crushed, full of guilt and sorrow. He refused to look up from the steal counter top.

"Why do you think that?" I asked taking small baby steps toward the door of the pantry.

"I was sixteen I snuck out of the house to go running with some of my friends. I was about ten miles out when we heard screaming, I looked back and realized it was near my house. I ran as fast as I could, but didn't make it in time. My dad was on top of y baby sister doing unspeakable things. I fell into a put of range and ended up killing him." I saw his face twist with disgust.

"What happened to your mom?" I couldn't help but ask slowly sitting down on one of the stools beside him. Unaware I was moving closer to him this whole time.

"She died of cancer when I was eight. What if he was going that to my sister for year without me knowing." I sighed shaking my head.

"You blame yourself, its not your fault your father was a monster. You saved your sister from him" i tried to give I'm a reassuring smile, but the weight of this conversation was suffocating me.

"Where is your sister now?" I asked picking at my fingers. I probably shouldn't be this nosy but he brought it up.

"She's safe at home. When I came to and realized what I did we fled the pack terrified they would kill us. we wandered around for a bit until I heard the palace takes in anyone and their family, even rouges as long as you can complete the military training. So I trained for a year and got in. Once I became a gaurd they gave me a small house and let my sister go to school." I nod my head in understanding. I just had one question left.

"Where id you and your sister stay when you were training?"

"I stayed on training grounds with a bunch of dudes. I met this one gut during an exercise, he wasn't strong enough to pull himself up the rope so I helped him. We became good friends and he mentioned his mother, sandy, was being clingy. Saying she missed him around the house. There was no one to milk the cows or get the eggs so she had to do it all. His dad was always gone for business, you see. Me and my sister went over and asked if she could stay there if my sister did chores and helped out. Sandy was thrilled saying she always wanted a girl. She never made us feel like a burden." He smiled faintly looking off into the distance.

" Hey could  you go into pantry and find some chocolate chips for me, it seems like you could use some comfort food too." I tried to lighten the mood and change the subject, hoping he wasn't to upset. He just went into the pantry without another word. I was mixing the rest of the ingredients together when the smell of pine and chocolate hit my nose.

Mason came walking into the kitchen, he stopped when he saw me. He was shirtless, and sweaty. He had a pair of basketball shorts on and it looked like he has mud smeared all over him. I noticed he didn't have shoes on either. He raked his hand through his hair.

"What are you doing in here?" He asked looking at all the things on the counter.

"I could ask you the same thing." I began slowly mixing the sugar in with everything. Mason walked over to the island picking up a stick of butter.

"I just came back from a run and got hungry, your turn." He set the butter down and looked at me waiting for my answer.

"I didn't eat dinner, and I was in the mood for comfort food." I gestured to all the ingredients laying around me. Mason just nodded his head. A second goes by and he starts sniffing the air,

"Who's been in he-" he was cut off by Damian coming back into the kitchen chocolate chips in his hand.

"Hey I found them, and your right cookies sound amazing right now." He comes up to my side and set down the bag before noticing Mason was in the room. Mason just looked between us and you could see his greens eyes switching back and forth to black.

"Who the hell is this?" He asked a low growl coming with every word. I tried to explain but he didn't give me the chance. Mason walked over to me, slung me over his shoulder and started walking out the door.

"Hey put me down." I demanded hitting his back. He started out the door.

"No you cant to reject me and then go to another man in my house. Absolutely not. You're mine and no one else can have you." We got near my room and he set me down. He was about to say something else but before he could I ran to my room locking it behind me. A few moments passed before I heard him walk away. Frustrated, hungry, and confused I went to bed. What an amazing first day.