17

Ava's POV xxxxxxxxxxxxxx day 10

Mason wasn't at breakfast this morning. I didn't know if it was because of the massive hangovers must have or if he's avoiding me cause he doesn't want to talk about the parent thing. I'm trying to stop myself from going to his room right now. But I know if I do that ill either end up yelling at him or completely forgiving him. I'm not ready for either of those to happen. Damian also didn't come to pick me up for breakfast, Alex did. Now that I think about it he never showed up last night when I texted him. I need to distract myself.

"You could let me go for a run, we have been here for ten days and I have been out yet." I wince at the realization I've been restricting Rose.

"I'm so sorry, why haven't you said anything." If she would've told me she really needed out I would've let her out. It's not like I was doing anything important anyway.

"You had a lot on your mind. I didn't want to burden you." I smile at her.

"Thank you, but a run could help me clear my mind too." I got up to leave when someone knocks on my door. I walk over to open it and see Damian there.

"Oh hey, I was just about to tell you I was going for a run," I said as he walked in shutting the door behind him.

"You lied to me." I felt my body stiffen with the tension as I turn to face him.

"What did I lie about?" I thought about all of our conversations and can't think of one time I lied to him.

"I was wondering why you suddenly started wearing that ring on your finger. I just assumed it was something you brought with you. It's a promise ring though isn't it." Damian's eyes were flashing black as his hands began to shake with anger. I go to speak, but he continues.

"If you didn't have feelings for me then you could've just said that. You didn't have to lie about it." He paused taking a deep breath in. "Or let me kiss you." Realization hits me like a truck.

"You did show up last night." I start shaking my head.

"Of course, I showed up, but you were with someone else." I cross my arms over my chest feeling exposed.

"I didn't lie to you, I do like you. I just like Mason more. He's my mate I have this invisible string attached to him that I'm never going to be able to cut." I sigh looking down at my shoes.

"So what, I was just the backup. In case he rejected you I would be here to make you feel better?"

"No, it's no-" he cuts me off

"That's a shitty thing to do," he says through gritted teeth. I can't help the tears that sting my eyes.

"That's not it, I told mason I was going to reject him, but things changed." I sniffed. This was hurting a lot more than I thought it would.

"You should've told me the second that you knew you chose him." He runs his hands through his hair.

"I tried last night I texted you, but-"

"No, you chose him the second you put that ring on. You were just too stupid to admit it to yourself." I could feel the heat rising to my face and I stood a little taller.

"So you're mad at me because I don't know what I want? What if we ended up together and then you met your mate huh? Would you be ready to reject her for me? You barely know anything bout me and you're treating me like I'm your girlfriend. I'm sorry that I hurt you, but I know what I want now so leave me alone." I push past him and throw open the door running down the stairs and through the back door leading out into the gardens. I let Rose take control as I shift not caring about my clothes shredding and hitting the dirt. We zipped through trees jumping over logs and running in circles to let off steam. Once Rose is in full control and barreling through the woods trying to find water I give myself time to think about what just happened.

Damian has a right to be mad at me. Mason has a right to be mad at me. I have a right to be mad at Mason so that crosses out because of PEMDAS. But Mason doesn't know he has the right to be mad at me. So it doesn't cross out until he finds out. Unless he doesn't find out then I just have the right to be mad at him. So the only one who can actually be mad at me is Damian. What is wrong with me? None of that made sense. None of this makes sense. I don't even have anyone to talk to because I avoid all the other girls in the house due to my anxiety. Even if I did want to talk to them we have nothing in common they are all at high standings. I guess I'm about to be the highest of them all though and I need to make good connections. I have to make more friends.

This internal monologue went on for hours. Or at least that's what I think, it's dark now it definitely wasn't dark when I left. When did I leave? When I actually take a moment to glance at my surroundings I'm completely lost. I can't shift back because it's getting colder and I need Roses's warmth.

"Rose do you know where we are?" I asked looking around. She whimpers.

"No, I was distracted and forgot to note the direction we came from."

"What distracted you?" I skied a little huffy and angry she would let us get lost.

"You, it was like having a love triangle audiobook playing in my head." I let out a long sigh.

"Let's just come back the way we came and see if we can catch a familiar smell." She nods and we start back that way.

After what feels like twenty years and four kids I hear a howl. A sudden burst of hope shoots through me and we start running that way. It was only when it was too late that the smell of blood caught my nose. We come screeching to a stop when we see a rouge wolf on top of a dead Coyote. Blood stained the wolf's nose as it dripped onto the ground. The wolf looks up and cocks its head to the side dropping whatever was in its mouth. It starts slowly approaching, staying low to the ground and then starting growling. It stops and leans back like it's about to attack but before it can Rose starts running.

I can feel the wolf snapping at my hind legs as I will Rose to run faster. I don't notice anything around us as I try to find a way out of this. Just as I thought about looking for water I'm falling. My vision blurs as I see trees start to get more distant. I can feel my fur start ripping as my body counties to roll down the hill or cliff or mountain. Each time my body hits the cold ground the wind is knocked out of me making it hard to breathe. Once the spinning stops I feel Rose slip into unconsciousness forcing me to take control.

I lay there and immediately wrap my arms around my naked body as the cold winds surround me. I'm breathing so hard and my vision is spotty, but I can't stay here I have to go. I try to sit up but a pain I've never felt before shoots through my side. I look down and see a giant gash about two inches deep. Hot tears stream my face as I apply pressure on the wound attempting to stop the bleeding. I scream out in pain before my hand shoots up to my mouth. I obviously can't move, but I can stay out in the open either. I need to find shelter long enough for this wound to stop bleeding. I move farther into the rocks behind me and start covering myself with leaves while rubbing mud all over my fave and body to help mask my scent. I start to feel myself lose consciousness and feel myself hit the ground before I completely pass out.