26

Avas POV xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

We pulled away from each other. I was smiling even though I'm sure I looked terrible, tear-stained face and makeup probably ruined. I took a deep breath filling my nose with Mason's scent. He took a step back letting go of me.

"I have some business to take care of." A simple smile blessed his lips. I just nod and watch him walk up to the stage. Alex came over to my side holding his wrist. His fist was all bloody and gross, Turing a nasty shade of purple.

"What happened?" I gasped grabbing his hand to see all the damage.

"I couldn't let him get off so easy." He shrugs his shoulders as his hand starts to heal itself. "No one messes with my queen." He says. I pulled him into a hug fighting off even more tears.

"Hey now, do you want my head on a stick? If he sees us like this I will be dead." I hug him tighter Ashe wraps one arm around me.

"I won't let that happen." We pull away as we hear someone clearing their voice into a microphone. Everyone looks up as Mason stands on stage looking dashing and dangerous.

"I will not apologize for what just happened." Gasps and mumbling filled the room. "I thought that my people would be happy for me to find my mate. That you would be understanding, happy even. I was hoping you would put aside ranks and politics and trust that I would never make a decision that wasn't for the benefit of this country. It hurts my heart to know you don't respect her and see her the way that I do." He pauses and looks right at me. "Even though she has an addiction to sugary drinks, and has a sarcastic attitude I hope you can all learn to love her as much as I do because I'm not going to give her up. Ava winters, your future queen, if she'll have me." He extends his hand waiting for me to make my decision. I may not be respected or loved as a queen, but I will have him and that's all that matters. I walk up and grab his hand. People start cheering nod hollering, we have people come up to congratulate us even the other girls I was competing with swallowed their pride to smile at me.

"We are accepted, we are accepted." Rose chanted n my head doing a little dance. So many people so many things, so much anxiety

"I need some air," I whisper to Mason trying to find a way out of the crowd.

"Not so fast." he grabbed my arm and pulled me to the middle of the dance floor. Mason gave a look to the band and a slow song started playing.

"I don't know how to dance," I say embarrassed looking down at my feet.

"Just another thing I get to teach you." He whispers in my ear and picks me up placing my feet on top of his.

"Doesn't that hurt?" I ask afraid my heels were digging into his foot. He shook his head.

"I could be shot right now and it wouldn't hurt me. I'm too far up on cloud nine to be brought down with something as stupid as pain." I laugh, always so theatrical. "Also I saw the way you hugged Alex, you're trying to eat everyone killed tonight aren't you?"

"I wasn't trying to get none killed, and please tell me you aren't actually planning on killing that man." It would only look worse on me I was the reason someone died. Maybe showing mercy to a jackass could earn me some brownie points

"I'll do whatever you want me to do." He hummed while we swayed to the music. We stayed like that for a while until others started joining us. While it was fun my social battery was drained and I wanted to go to leave. I slipped out of the room while mason was talking to someone about funding for a school. I walked up to my room and lay on my bed too tired to take off my clothes or even my shoes. My eyelids were heavy and I fell asleep.

I jolt awake to the sound of thunder. Looking around the room it was pitch black, the only light coming from the occasional lightning strike. The nightmare I had of the attack is still fresh in my mind. I slip off my bed, I didn't know where I was going but I knew who I wanted to see. I stood in front of the door, I knew it was his. The smell of pine and chocolate radiated from the cracks in the door. Should I knock or just go in? He might be sleeping and not hear me knock but it is an invasion of privacy.

"Just go in." Rose groaned and went back to sleep. I put my hand on the doorknob and slowly opened it. Once I was in, I couldn't see a thing. I felt around for. Dresser or something but couldn't find one. Then a flash of lightning hit and I saw the room clear enough to see the bed. And carefully walk over and climb on top. I won't wake him, I won't even get under the blanket. I just need to be here for a few minutes to help me sleep, that's all. I stare at the ceiling letting the warmth and calm hit me. I was about to slide off and go back to my own room when an arm slung around me pulling me into a hard chest.

"Hello princess." He mumbled in a sleepy voice. Goosebumps irrupted all over my skin causing me to shiver. He caught me, I had to explain why I was here but no words came out. My mouth opened and closed multiple times, but not a word was spoken.

"Nightmare." I managed to choke out trying to keep the images from resurfacing. He held me tighter to his chest and let out a sigh.

"And here I thought you missed me." I turn to face him.

"Does that sound like me?" A smirk tugged onto his face.

"I like to be optimistic." A smile spread onto my own face. We sat there silently finding comfort in each other's company. Something weighed on my heart and I wanted to tell him but was now the right time? I push back my anxiety and find what little confidence I have.

"Mason," I whisper he grunts, eyes still closed. He's probably half asleep I should wait. No, I'm done waiting.
"Mason, I love you." I don't think he heard me. Several seconds passed, and then his eyes shoot open, his head jerking up.

"What did you say?" he asked fully awake now. I took a deep breath.

"I love you." As soon as the words left my mouth he pulled me into him. Kissing me passionately, one hand around my waist and the other on my neck pushing me into him. We break for air and he leans his head against mine.

"I've waited so long to hear those words." He breathed out hugging me closer to him. I thought it was impossible to be this happy.