Chapter 15: A strange sensation and purchases

At noon the next day, after breakfast,

Humming a song, or rather, an opening of my favorite anime, I entered a store, where a vast carved board with two swords through a metal frame hung over the door.

An equipment store...

I had intended to look for weapons within the "Hephaestus Familia" in their own right. As a Familia specializing in the production of armor and weapons, they were the best choice for all those adventurers who aspired to great heights. But with my pitiful financial state, I would not be able to buy even the sand dust that accumulated there.

If there was any at all...

However, that wasn't the main reason I specifically chose this store.

Although I initially ignored this store, a strange, unfamiliar, but undoubtedly comforting feeling arose within me when I walked past this store.

As to what it meant, I still didn't know. But now that I've returned to my curiosity, I won't be satisfied until I find the source of this...

"Welcome to our humble store, adventurer-san."

As I looked around the store's interior, which was littered with armor and weapons in a sorry state hanging on the walls, a cheerful young woman with long black hair tied in twin pigtails came out from behind the counter with a leap. Her sky blue painted eyes, which looked rather sad as if she had been crying for some time, opened at my sight.

*Thumb!

I clenched my stomach, where the core was.

A feeling of extreme sadness and, at the same time, happiness flooded me as my core released a few beats of emotion. The only thing my eyes caught for a few seconds was the girl standing there-

*Swish!

I couldn't stop my eyes from locking onto a small orb that shot out of the girl's body. I became alarmed; however, the ominous, dark orb entered my insides before I could do anything.

[Danger detected!]

[Analyzing the anomaly]

[...]

[...]

[Scanning completed]

[A intrusive energy was detected inside the user, it is recommended to neutralize it immediately]

[Neutralize] [Reject]

*

What are you waiting for?! N-neutralize it immediately, you f*cking idiot!

*

[Neutralize...]

[Error]

[Error]

[...]

[10% - 20% - 30% - 40% ... 90% - 100%]

[The intrusive energy  has been successfully neutralized!]

*

I was dizzy from the sudden messages that appeared in rapid succession in front of me, replacing one another. The robotic voice that sounded like a broken record irritated my conscience.

What the hell was that?!

"-sama, onii-sama!"

The girl's scream brought me out of my thoughts. I looked at the innocent face of the girl in front of me, and I could guess that she was unaware of what had happened.

"Are you okay, Onii-sama?"

*Thumb!

What is this? Why was I reacting like that? Although I asked that question, it was directed at myself since I had no one to ask.