Chapter Forty-Six

A/N: I am very, very sorry for not updating for a few months. I lost inspiration, again. But in the spirit Age of Ultron coming out, I have gotten the motivation to do an update. Plus, I've been itching at introducing the baby. Lastly, this chapter will be in Third Person POV along with the later chapters

The mission was practically complete. Steve and Natasha managed to complete their mission and collect the intel they needed. Now, they were heading back to headquarters, making sure to show Fury what they collected. The two were making their way through the building, surrounded by silence. Steve was anxious to get back to his wife. He couldn't help but worry about her whenever he was away.

"You seem eager to head back," Natasha pointed out. Steve looked at her and she simply smiled. "Don't worry. She'll be fine. She always is," she assured him, knowing exactly what was on his mind. It was almost like he had "anxious" written across his forehead. "She's probably at home reading one of those 'how to be a mother' books or something," Natasha chuckled lightly. 

The corner of Steve's lip curled slightly as a small smile tried to fight its way onto his lips. He could picture Danielle already. Her sitting in one of the arm chairs in the living room, reading a book and using the TV as a background noise since she won't feel alone. She always hated sitting in complete silence. It was a small pet peeve of hers. The thoughts of her made him feel at ease and that smile easily formed on his lips. 

Suddenly, Steve had an incoming call on his headset. He pressed a button and answered, "Rogers." Through the phone, he heard heavy breaths and the sound of someone crying. "S-Steve-" It was Danielle. Steve stopped in his tracks as his heart began to race. He didn't know what was wrong with her and he began to panic because he wasn't there to help her. "Dani, what's wrong?" He quickly asked. 

Through the phone, he heard her take a deep breath and a sob escaped her lips. "I-" She stopped as she let out another sob. "Danielle, what is it?" He asked again. Before he could hear her response, the phone went dead. "Dani- Danielle!" Steve pressed the button on his headset, but there was nothing. He looked at Natasha and she immediately knew that something was wrong. 

Steve then quickly started for the exit and Natasha quickly followed after her partner. Steve needed to get back to Washington D.C. to make sure Danielle was okay. He wouldn't be able to live with himself if something happened to her. The two neared the exit but as soon as they exited the building, they were greeted by a large group of armored men.

They weren't expecting this. They thought they had taken out all the men when they made their way into the building. Steve had no time for anything to slow him down. He needed to get to their jet and he wasn't going to let these men stop him. Steve charged towards the group of men and threw his shield towards them. His shield flew in the air, knocking down at least two men while he ran up to one man, punching him so hard that he knocked him off his feet. 

Natasha followed after him, knocking a few men out with a mean swing and a hard kick. She used her Black Widow's Bites against the men, taking them out within a few seconds. Steve fought hard, taking out many men along the way. Within a few minutes, the two managed to take out the men with ease. When they finished, the two rushed to the jet and Natasha flew them back to Washington D.C.

*  *  *  *

Steve had rushed home after making it back to Washington D.C. He didn't know what to expect and hadn't thought to change out of his Captain America uniform. He burst into the apartment and rushed around it, calling Danielle's name. "Dani!" He peeked into the nursery, noticing that she wasn't there. He rushed out the room and went into the master bedroom, "Dani?" He called again, but there was no reply. He walked back into the living room and took notice that there seemed to be no sign of struggle. 

The phone suddenly began ringing, quickly catching Steve's attention. He rushed to the kitchen and quickly picked up the phone. "Rogers, please tell me you're home." It was Maria Hill. Steve noticed a hint of urgency in her voice and it only caused him to worry even more. "Where's Danielle?" He asked her. "She's at the hospital. She's in labor and has been for the past few hours." She told him. 

Steve's eyes went wide at the news. It was time. It was finally time that he'd be able to introduce his child into the world. "Get your ass here quick. Danielle refusing to continue unless you're here." She told him. Steve nodded into the phone, "I'll be there shortly," he then quickly hung up the phone and rushed into the master bedroom and changed into more casual clothing.

*  *  *  *

Danielle laid in her hospital bed, gripping at the railings so tight until her knuckles turned white. She had been in agonizing pain for the past few hours. At first, she was waiting until she was dilated, but now she was waiting for Steve to arrive. She wanted him to be here to witness the birth of their child. But she could handle it. The pain was worth it. 

Tears began to build in her eyes as the pain continued to grow. She tried everything she learned. She tried to slow her breaths to keep her mind off the pain, but it wasn't working. She couldn't get her mind off of it. When she thought things would only get worse, the door suddenly burst open. Her eyes slowly went to the door and there stood Steve. His chest was heaving heavily as though he had been running. A small smile began to form on Danielle's lips as she saw him standing in the doorway. Steve returned a kind smile. 

"You're late," she said through a heavy breath. A small chuckle escaped Steve's mouth as she began to make his way to her bedside. He leaned down and gave her a small peck on her cheek. "But I'm here," he lightly whispered into her ear.

Doctors shortly came and thus began the delivery of their child. After the long wait and hard work, Danielle and Steve finally met their son. They were both overjoyed with the moment. Seeing him for the first time brought Danielle to tears. It was a moment they would always remember. The moment they met their son, Nathan Lucas Rogers.