Chapter Twenty-Nine

After a couple of hours, we managed to reach the helicarrier without any further interruption. Once we landed, about eight men escorted Loki to a cell and the rest of us met at the bridge. I was sitting next to Steve at the table as we all pondered on what Loki's true motive was of coming here. I heard Loki's voice over the computer screen as Fury talked to him.

"It was built for something stronger than you." Fury told Loki.

"Oh, I've heard. A mindless beast. Makes play he's still a man," he said. I glanced over at Bruce and he didn't seem all that fazed by it. "How desperate are you, that you call on such lost creatures to defend you?" Loki spat.

"How desperate am I? You threatened my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace, and you kill because it's fun. You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did." Fury told him.

"It burns you to have come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power...unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share. And then to be reminded what real power is."

"Well, let me know if 'real power' wants a magazine or something," Fury said as I watched him walk out the room that held Loki. Loki walked toward the camera and looked at it. I turned off the monitor, not wanting to look at him any longer.

"He really grows on you, doesn't he?" Bruce said with a small, sarcastic chuckle.

"Loki's gonna drag this out," Steve pointed out. I nodded my head and gazed up at Thor. He seemed to be in deep thought.

"So, Thor, what's his play?" I asked him.

"He has an army called the Chitauri. They're not of Asgard, nor any world known." He then turned towards us and walked towards the table. "He means to lead them against your people. They will win him the Earth, in return, I suspect, for the Tesseract."

"An army..." I trailed.

"From outer space?" Steve finished. I sighed lightly. I take a seventy year hibernation, and wake up to stop an alien invasion. What's next? Johann Schmidt comes back trying to destroy America again?

"So, he's building another portal. That's what he needs Erik Selvig for." Bruce pointed out.

"Selvig?" Thor asked.

"He's an astrophysicist." Bruce told him.

"He's a friend." Thor added.

"Loki has him under some kind of spell, along with one of ours." Romanoff said.

"I want to know why Loki let us take him." Steve began. I nodded my head.

"He's not exactly leading an army from here," I added as I glanced over at Bruce.

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You could smell the crazy on him." Bruce said.

"Have care how you speak. Loki is beyond reason, but he is of Asgard. And he is my brother." Thor said.

"He killed eighty people in two days," Romanoff commented as she glanced up at Thor.

"He's adopted," Thor said flatly.

"I think it's about the mechanics. Iridium...what do they need the iridium for?" Bruce pondered.

"It's a stabilizing agent." I heard Tony's voice as he came walking into the room. I saw him whispering something to Agent Coulson before he left him to join our discussion. "It means the portal won't collapse on itself, like it did at S.H.I.E.L.D." He said as he walked toward Thor. "No hard feelings, Point Break. You've got a mean swing." Tony added, as he gently hit Thor's arms. Thor looked at Tony with a confused expressed.