Chapter 34

We reach the Byers house again and its so quiet as we enter you could hear a pin drop

We reach the Byers house again and its so quiet as we enter you could hear a pin drop. On the ride over Hopper told us about Bob, and what he did to help get the rest of them out of the building. I am upset because I really liked Bob, he was like a cool uncle or something, someone you could always go to for help. Someone slides their hand into mine and I look up at Steve who gives me a small smile as we climb into the house.

Hopper places Will on the sofa, still passed out and we leave Jonathan to have a moment with him. While waiting in the kitchen I go over to the window and peer out of it. Despite the demogorgans currently in our dimension, the upside down is not my biggest issue. Rosemary is still out there and planning another attack, it's been a while since our last interaction that I wonder what kind of sick things she is planning for.

"You ok?" Steve asks me gently as he comes up beside me, I cross my arms and nod my head. Narrowing my eyes, Steve adds "are you looking for-" Before he can say her name, I cut him off with a nod of my head and "yes, I haven't seen her since that first time, I'm getting nervous." I never usually admit when I am feeling off my game but I feel, that if I don't open up now, with so much going on, someone might get hurt. Steve shrugs "she is probably waiting for you to be alone."

I bite my lip and shake my head "that's not usually her game, she can manipulate people remember. She loves having a puppet to use to torment someone." Steve shrugs again and we lapse back into silence as Nancy comes over. "I don't know how many people are there!" Hopper speaks angrily into the phone plugged into the wall "I don't know how many people are left alive!" He waits for the person on the other end to reply, Steve offers me a mint. "I am the police!" Hopper shouts "Chief Jim Hopper! Yes the number that I gave you, yes."

Steve and I move so we stand around the table with Dustin, Lucas, Mike and Max. When Hopper puts the phone down my brother says "they didn't believe you, did they?" He turns to face us and replies "we'll see." Although apparently that isn't good enough for Mike as he starts getting annoyed "we'll see? We cant just sit here while those things are loose!"

I roll my eyes and raise a hand "I can always round them up if it makes you more comfortable." Before I can even take a breath both Hopper and Steve practically shout "no!" I raise my hands in surrender. "We stay here and we wait for help." Hopper adds quietly before moving away from the kitchen. I yawn just then, covering my mouth with my hand and my brother looks at me with disgust "how can you be tired right now?" He asks and I shrug innocently and wrap my arms around my body "it's been a long day." Steve chuckles and I smile.

-

We continue to sit/stand in silence for what feels like forever. I get nervous again so I start to pace before I finally announce "I"m going for a smoke." And head outside.

I go down two front steps before sitting down, pulling out my cigarettes and a lighter before taking a drag. I hear the door open and close before Steve sits down beside me "hey stranger." He says, I let out a puff of smoke with a smile, flicking ash onto the ground "hey." As I take another drag Steve clears his throat.

"I actually wanted to talk to you about something." He says and I give him a look to tell him I am listening. "I uh, I wanted to say how brave you were in the junkyard." He stutters nervously and I chuckle, letting out another drag "it's all that programming." I muse tapping my head light-heartedly. Steve laughs awkwardly, running a hand through his hair "ok, I could have said this better but I really like you." I pause what I'm doing, completely frozen.

I don't say anything so Steve continues "I think you are incredibly brave and smart and selfless and funny. And I know I have made your life hell in the past but I would really like to kiss you right now." I swallow hard and turn to face him, cigarette forgotten on the floor. "Then do it." I say through a tight throat.

Without hesitation, Steve Harrington cups my jaw with one hand and leans in slowly. Our lips connect and I feel a fire ignite within me, like everything before this and everything after is meaningless, inconsequential compared to what I am feeling right now. The door swings open again and someone clears their throat, we pull apart to see Hopper glaring down at us. Well at Steve. "If you two are quite finished." he says before marching back into the house. Steve and I share a shy look before following the older man inside.