Chapter 59

"And then Viki laughed

"And then Viki laughed. And it wasn't like a cheap, fake laugh either." Robin is telling us about her interaction with her crush from band as she and Steve work at the video store. "It was like, it was a real, genuine laugh." Robin finishes stacking discs and comes back over to the desk. Steve scoffs from one of the other aisles "Of course she laughed. It's my muppet joke. It's hilarious." Robin ignores his comment and continues "The point is that Vicki laughed and everything was just like. It was perfect." There is something in her tone that suggests something more, so I tilt my head and ask "But?"

She groans, throwing her head back with the effort "But I'm having this problem where it's like, I should stop talking. I have said everything I need to say. But then I guess I get nervous, and the words keep spilling out, and it's like my- my brain is moving faster than my mouth, or- or rather my mouth is moving faster than my brain. And it's like I'm digging this hole for myself, and I wanna stop digging, I'm trying to stop but I can't. And I'm doing it right now aren't I?" I smile and Steve just sighs, both of us watching our friend as she starts to doom spiral about her crush.

"Yeah. You are." Steve confirms and Robin exhales heavily, resting her head on the counter. "Oh, I'm hopeless." She moans and Steve comes over to us as I comfort her by saying "We all are." Robin then sits up like she has had some great idea before she speaks "If only we could just, like, combine." I frown and Steve looks at her in confusion "Combine?" He repeats unsure of what she means. Robin nods her head "Think about it." She says to us, her tone serious "I know exactly what I want, and I've found the girl of my dreams, but I just can't get the courage to ask her out. Meanwhile, you two are so in love it is both sickening and cute at the same time. It gives me hope sometimes that there is someone out there like that for me too and sometimes I want to strangle you both for making me feel so single. So if we just combined all our problems would be solved."

I study my friend, amazed at how her brain works sometimes and suddenly she leaps from her chair "Ooh, I think I found our morning movie." I share a look with Steve who just smirks and shakes his head. Honestly I should think about applying to work here, I spend most of my time here anyway, I might as well get payed for it. I turn the tv on to get ready for our film when the news channel comes on and the reporter says "We're in the Forest Hills trailer park in east Roane County. We don't have a lot of details right now, but we can confirm that the body of a Hawkins High student was discovered early this morning. Police have not released the name."

My heart almost stops in my chest as the reporter continues talking. A murder in Hawkins? I somehow doubt it was just a normal act of violence, considering what we know about what is attracted to this town. "Holy shit." Steve mutters and I send up a silent prayer for the student who died.

-

As we watch the news Dustin and Max appear in the store. "Hey, Lori." My brother says as they storm through the doors, we turn to look at them and Steve points to the tv "You see this?" he asks and Dustin ignores his question by asking one of his own "How many phones do you have?" Steve just blinks and replies "Someone was murdered." My brother gives my boyfriend an impatient look that I know I sport on occasion and repeats his question "How many phones do you have?" Steve looks back at Robin before answering "Two why?" But then Robin corrects him "Technically three if you count Kieth's." I shiver at the mention of the managers name, that guy gives the creeps.