Chapter 48

I'm in the underground base, I have my list of targets in my head and I plan on getting in and getting out as swiftly as possible

I'm in the underground base, I have my list of targets in my head and I plan on getting in and getting out as swiftly as possible. I've come too far to mess up now. I hear sudden yelling from the room I am about to enter which makes me hesitate for a moment. Not long enough though as I bust the door open and see Steve fighting an army officer. Steve is losing. Not for long though as he quickly knocks the older man out.

"Impressive," I say and everyone in the room turns to look at me. "Lori!" Dustin says throwing his arms around my middle, however, my eyes are locked on Steve, neither of us looking away. "Hey, kid." I say ruffling his hair "what are you doing here?" Dustin asks me as Steve goes over to another girl's side, my chest clenches and I look away. Dustin steps back and I say "how about I tell you later, right after you tell me what the hell you guys are doing down here."

Dustin quickly rushes over to the dead officer and takes something off of his body, a young girl no more than 8 asks "what are you doing?" My brother looks back at us as he explains "getting us our ticket out of here." The girl scoffs and points to the door "you want to walk all the way back?" Dustin stands up and walks over to her "well, we can hang out for a little bit, relax, have a picnic maybe." The girl doesn't understand he is using sarcasm as she retorts "have a picnic? We came here for the radio."

I share a look with Steve who shakes his head as the two children continue to argue, the nameless girl has disappeared. "Guys." She says rushing back, as though I summoned her with a thought. Dustin and the girl (whose name I've found out is Erica) stop arguing as we all turn to the girl. "There's something up there." She says pointing to the staircase she just came from. This is an incredible detour from my mission here but I am curious to see what she's found so I follow the others up the staircase.

Once inside the next room, I notice a blue hue covering the room, I turn my head to the wall of windows and the view in front of me almost makes my heart stop. Almost. "Holy shit." I and my brother say at the same time because the view right in front of us is another rift to the upside down. In Hawkins.

6 months before

I wake up on a metal table, my eyes squinting against the bright light above me. "Ah, you're awake. Good." A familiar voice says before Margret's face comes into view, she looks happy. My blood goes cold at the sight because that can't mean anything good for me. "Headmaster wants to start using you again." She says when I remain silent "but first he wants me to gather as much intel on you as I can, you know. In case your brain gets fried." I struggle against the restraints around my ankles and wrists, my heart beating so loudly I can hear it in my ears.

Margret disappears from view but I can hear her dragging something over, as she does so she explains "we created this device that will prove most useful in this situation. It's a device that allows me to record all of the memories stored in your mind as I go through them myself. It's quite genius you see although we haven't had a chance to test it yet" I pull against the restraints as much as I can, trying to use all of my strength to get out of here and away from this torture. Margret chuckles evilly "there is no point trying that honey, it won't work." I grit my head as she gently places wires on my head, then she places her hands on my temples and suddenly all of my memories flash before quickly, as though I am dying.

The first time I rode a bike, was when dad died. When I applied for Haven. Picking up Dustin from Mike's house in the pouring rain. Jonathan kissing me before I left. My time at the Academy. Fighting off the demo-dogs. Meeting Billy. Kissing Steve. All of it flashes by, every new memory making me scream in pain as it feels like my head is splitting in two.