Chapter 54

Dustin tries to reach us over the radio however the radio is right under the Mind Flayer and it crushes it almost instantly

Dustin tries to reach us over the radio however the radio is right under the Mind Flayer and it crushes it almost instantly. It roars angrily and I step closer to the kids, ready to protect them. I am hiding with El, Max and Mike behind a counter while the others hide behind the car. The monster moves around, searching for us. The kids are visibly shaking and I feel my power coming back to me slowly. Thank god because otherwise, I would not know how to fight this thing. I get up slightly to see where the creature is. "It's turned the other way." I tell the kids "if you go up the stairs now, you'll make it." Max's eyes widen and she stares at me "What about you?" She asks.

I clench my jaw for a moment before answering "I will be a distraction." Eleven clutches my hand when I say that and she looks at me demandingly "No, you won't sacrifice yourself. We go together." Her speech has gotten so much better since I've known her and I suddenly feel a swelling of pride surge through me. "There's another way to get out." Eleven adds in a whisper "Through the Gap." I get up again and look over at the Mind Flayer.

"Okay." I nodded taking a deep breath "Now." And we all rush towards the Gap store right across from us. Just as we enter the unit however Max falls creating noise that I know has alerted the monster. "Shit," I mutter as the creature comes bounding over. We manage to hide just before is reaches us, I cover Max's mouth with my hand as tears stream down her face at the cut on her shoulder.

The creature finally leaves the store, finding something else to look at and I breathe a little easier. We take that opportunity to race out of the building, finally a little safer. We make it to the front of the mall and back to our get-away car. Jonathan fixes it while the kids get into the car. However, an engine starts revving a little way away from us. Me, Nancy and Jonathan all turn to look at the only other car in the lot. "I'll get the car started," Nancy says heading over to the driver's side.

I tilt my head, staring at the other car "Is that..?" I ask trailing off, Max answers for me, leaning out of the window "Yes that's my brother! Get in the car Lori, he has gone insane." I frown and instead of listening to her, move closer to Billy's car. The other car comes hurtling towards us and the others are all screaming at me to get in the car so we can go however I just stand there looking at my friend confused as to why he is trying to kill us.

Billy gets closer and closer to us and I gasp as I can feel the engine rumble in my chest. However, it doesn't get to me, another car crashes into it from the side causing me to fall back a few steps in shock. Both cars skid to a halt and that's when I see Steve driving the other car. Robin is in the passenger seat. "Steve!" I shout racing towards him, he climbs out of the car and throws open his arms. I launch myself into him, wrapping my arms around his neck and holding him tightly.

"I thought you might be dead." He pants holding me close, I close my eyes and take a shuddering breath. "We almost were a few times." We pull apart and he cups my face. I stare up at him, our matching brown eyes staring into the other's soul. He opens his mouth as if to say something but I cut him off by kissing him, he melts into the kiss and presses his lips firmly against mine. We pull away after several seconds, we smile and blush before looking away. I punch him in the shoulder lightly "If we get out of here you owe me a date." Steve's face lights up and he cups my jaw again "When we get out of here." He corrects me and I playfully roll my eyes.

We hear the creature again and Robin mutters "Oh shit!" We turn around and see that the Mind Flayer is now on the roof of the Starcourt Mall. Well that's just fantastic. We hear a car horn sound before Nancy shouts "get in!" And we do. Finally getting to safety because gods know we are not dealing with that yet.