chapter fifty six: one percent

Waking up the next morning was tough. I could barely open my eyes so I decided to let myself rest for a few more minutes.

Maybe I just want to cuddle with him.

He is a good cuddler.

Rolling over, that's exactly what I was going to do. But when my arm landed on the mattress my eyes snapped open.

He's not there.

What?

He's not laying down. He's not next to me. It's just empty space.

My heart started racing. This cannot be happening.

Not again.

I sat up, stared at the mattress, and brought my knees to my chest. I was stuck in my head thinking about what's happening.

There's no way he just left me. He wouldn't do that.

But he's not here.

Immediately I thought the worse. Did he mean what he said? Did last night mean anything to him?

Oh god. Am I that big of an idiot?

I was too busy thinking of every negative possibility that I didn't realize I was crying.

A tear fell onto the comforter laid over my knees. I blinked a few more out before wiping my eyes.

When I heard the sink turn on in the bathroom I sucked in a breath.

He didn't leave.

I brought my hands to my face and internally yelled at myself.

Why would I even think that?

The sink turned off and the bathroom door opened. I peeked over my hands and saw him walk out in sweatpants.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Did I wake you up?" he asks.

I feel the mattress sink beside me and finally pull my face out of my hands.

"I didn't mean to–"

He stops talking as I sniffle and push my hair behind my ears.

I try to calm myself down because I find it almost embarrassing to cry in front of him.

He probably thinks I'm such a crybaby.

"Hey," He cups my face with his hands and stares into my watery eyes. "What's wrong?" he asked.

This is something I love about him. He cares. A lot.

I hate that I make him worry but it's nice to know he does. Some people couldn't give two shits about me.

My statement was proven earlier by his dick of a captain. I don't know what I saw in him.

"Dani."

His soft voice snaps me out of my thoughts. Look at me. Zoning out.

"C'mere." His order was calmly delivered and I scooted closer to him.

His legs were under the comforters as he sat against the headboard. He looked at me with such concern, and part of me didn't want him to.

I pulled the comforter off my legs and rolled over so I straddled his lap. My legs tingled as they met the cool air, but warmed again when his hands landed on my thighs.

"Why are you crying?"

His question makes me blink a few times. A stray tear slipping out in the process.