Three

Ed Sheeran - Collide

~

TOM AND I ARE STANDING in my living room, cocking our heads from side-to-side slowly, uniformly, at the stack of gifts at the mouth of my doorstep.

I snap out of it. "Who brought them?"

"You'd already turned in for the night when Miss. Chris stopped by with your friends and dropped them off."

"Oh, really?"

Tom hums.

Looking at these beautiful gifts I selected yesterday and abandoned at the mall, I can only see how right my friends were about spending someone else's money. It actually feels good. Makes me wish I had one man all to myself who would buy me shit and do everything to make me happy.

Ha!

I guess the greatest revenge isn't paying for stuff with their boyfriends' cards and abandoning them. The greatest revenge for yesterday is buying all this stuff and making good use of them.

But I didn't pay for this much last night. That can only mean that my friends bought me more things. Oh, those ladies. I can already peep a Victoria's Secret bag from my standing position. Fucking Nessa. Bitch doesn't get me anything else. Apparently, she's living her dream through my body. Whatever the hell that means.

I breathe. "Take them to my room for me, will ya?"

He nods.

It is half past three in the morning and I am ready for work.

I am dressed in an ash pencil skirt tucked into a black top, with ash wedged sandals. And my curly hair is packed neatly in a pony tail.

I am refreshed and energetic, ready to face all my life's problems and difficulties - my boss, Doctor Carl.

It's almost as if I have forgotten everything my friends put me through the night before.

I've forgiven the bitches. By the way, when you're friends with people for so long, you tend to overlook a lot of petty things. I have more important things to worry about.

"Goodbye, Miss. Alaina." Tom tells me with a very wide smile.

He's not driving me to work, that's why he's ecstatic.

________________

I arrive at the hospital in a few minutes since it isn't far from my house. Both are located on the west side of the city.

I press the button on my car key to lock my car. It makes that sound signifying that it has locked, but I pull on the handle to confirm. It's the Nigerian in me. I recall mocking my mother about the same thing as a teenager; now, I'm exactly like her.