The Sorting Ceremony - part 1

1st September 1971

1st September 1971. Hogwarts.

Evening was falling when the scarlet train began to slow its course. A metallic voice spread through all the carriages, announcing to the passengers that the stop for Hogwarts was imminent. There were only five minutes to go and the students were advised to get ready. They were also advised to leave their luggage on the train once they reached the stop, as it would be transported to the castle at a later time.

Hearing the announcement, Alya sprang to her feet and hurriedly slipped into her long black robe, which covered her up to the tips of her shoes. Melyssa and Philippa did likewise. Melyssa bit her fingernails, fidgeting. Alya was also in a state of agitation: she could hear her heartbeat clearly.

Before leaving the compartment, Alya cast a quick glance at the glass made black by the darkness of the night, which reflected her image like a mirror: she proudly looked at herself in her school uniform. She and her friends exited the wagon and joined the mass of students crowded into the corridor. There was a great buzz in the air.

The train finally stopped and a horde of boys and girls jostled down the narrow platform, shrouded in night. The air outside was cold and crisp, it tickled Alya's bare face.

Suddenly, a light appeared above the sea of heads crammed on the pavement and Alya saw the figure of a giant, bearded man, the most imposing she had ever seen. It had to be a giant, she thought in astonishment.

"First year this way!" the hirsute giant shouted in a gruff voice, gathering around him a small crowd of hesitant, lost-looking kids, all trembling inside their long black robes.

"Come on, come on, follow me!" the big man encouraged them, jovially.

Uncertain and frightened, the young wizards proceeded behind their mammoth guide in small steps along a narrow path.

"Be ready. You will soon have a spectacular view of the castle," the giant warned them proudly, giving them a wink.

He kept his word. The moment the path ended, a large black lake appeared under the astonished gaze of the young boys. A high mountain towered above the vast patch of water, over which there was the monumental Hogwarts Castle, its towers silhouetted imperiously against the background of the night sky. A lot of windows reflected their golden light into the dense black waters of the lake, blending in with the stars which dotted the celestial vault.

Alya, like all her classmates, stood open-mouthed before that breathtaking spectacle. Many had heard and read stories describing the bewitching magnificence of the school, but observing it live, with one's own eyes, had a completely different effect.

"You may board the boats. No more than four people each," the thundering voice of the bearded giant interrupted the general wonderment which hovered around the small group of wizards, bringing them back to reality. Stumbling through the darkness, one by one the young students took their places in the various boats, which had come out of nowhere. Within minutes, they were ready for departure.