The Forbidden Forest

Alya tossed and turned several times in bed, trying in vain to fall back asleep, but she was now wide awake. Therefore, she decided to get up and enjoy the morning quiet in the common room.

She slipped out of the emerald blankets and got dressed. It was Saturday and there were no classes scheduled for that day, so students were allowed to wear their clothes as they pleased, but Alya opted for the school uniform anyway: she was so excited to have ended up in Slytherin, she wanted to show off the colours every time.

The girl moved into the room, stealthy as a cat, since her friends were still sleeping like logs. Alya didn't want to disturb them.

Taking advantage of that unexpected privacy, little Black rummaged through the contents of her trunk until she found, submerged under piles of clothing, the small book entitled Treasure Island. She quickly threw it into the bottom of her bag and headed downstairs.

The common room was deserted; the weekend had begun and the absence of classes allowed students to sleep late in the morning.

Alya immediately took refuge in the room's library, being able to freely choose where to sit. Usually, the best seats were always occupied by older students. Alya chose a secluded corner, abandoning herself on a soft green velvet armchair, which faced one of the large windows overlooking the placid waters of the Black Lake. The perfect view to immerse oneself in a relaxing read.

Alya pulled from her bag the small book that Harry, the friendly Muggle boy she had met during the summer, had lent her. Alya had already read several pages when she was still in Grimmauld Place, secretly, during the night when everyone was asleep. No one in her family would have approved of her unusual interest. The only one who could have understood her and shared the same passion for Muggle literature was Sirius, who paradoxically detested her ardently and hadn't spoken to her for a couple of months.

Alya shook her head, trying to banish that sad thought. She opened the little book and plunged into concentrated reading, losing herself in the pirate adventures of Harry's favourite characters. The events described were so gripping that Alya soon lost track of time. She spent more than an hour with her nose and eyes glued to the pages and didn't even notice.

Her face only resurfaced when she heard the footsteps of someone preparing to descend the spiral staircase. Alya immediately closed the volume and pushed it into the depths of his bag. She absolutely could not risk being caught with something Muggle in her hand. She had a reputation to uphold, as Narcissa had sternly admonished her. Her family repudiated any sympathy towards the non-magical world, considering it inappropriate and disreputable; after what Narcissa had confided to her about what Andromeda had done, Alya was aware of the terrible consequences that would befall all Blacks if she too showed even a faint trace of curiosity towards the Muggle world, as despised as it was banished. The shame of dishonour would haunt them for who knows how long, so Alya was determined to keep that small book carefully hidden, as a personal heirloom.

The girl stood up and pressed her nose against the cold glass of the window, which looked directly onto the waters of the lake. Just a second later, several students scattered lazily around the entire common room and Alya feigned a deep interest in the creatures which inhabited the depths, expanding before her view.

Behind Alya's back, the figures of Elizabeth, Melyssa and Philippa emerged.

"There you are! How can you be so early even on a Saturday?" exclaimed the latter. Alya clutched her shoulders.

"I just wanted to explore our library in peace, without tripping over the feet of our older mates," Alya explained, with partial sincerity.

"Shall we go for breakfast?" proposed Melyssa, in her usual cheerful tone and scatterbrained air. Alya and the others willingly agreed: they were starving.