vi. confrontations

CHAPTER SIX ─── confrontations

"𝕷et us have some music." Viserys commanded, and Alaelanna turned to her brother, nudging the taller man.

"Perhaps ask Helaena to dance. The poor girl does not seem to be having a good time."

"I was planning on it. Will you be alright?" Jace questioned. "I do not wish to leave you with Aegon."

"I will have Luke, and father is two spaces away from us. You know that our uncles will not try anything with him here." All the Thorne children knew that their uncles held some respect for Malkym, especially after he had broken someone's knee cap and nose in the space of two minutes. They had not truly dared to go against him ever since.

"We can but hope." Jace nodded. "Sister."

He pressed a quick kiss to his sister's head, before standing and approaching Helaena, holding his hand out. The poor girl looked stunned, eyes wide, before she accepted his hand gracefully. Aegon looked put out, something that Alaelanna was quite happy with.

She turned back around, a smile still gracing her face. Her parents were speaking in hushed tones, and she could guarantee that her father was calling her mother a silly nickname once more, for the woman was blushing and rolling her eyes. Camryn had calmed down now, eating his food as he told Luke about what he wished his dragon to look like.

Alaelanna laughed as she heard the name Camryn wished to name the beast once it hatched.

"You cannot name a dragon Snappy. It has to be something impressive." Luke rolled his eyes. "Do not become like our sister and name your dragon 'Littlewing'."

"Littlewing is a very strong name." Alaelanna shot back, her laughter stopping, "and she's a very good dragon."

"She has the worst name of all."

"Do not disrespect my dragon so." Alaelanna hissed at her brother, who rolled his eyes. Unbeknownst to any of the Thorne children, Otto Hightower was using this moment to attempt to convince Aemond to speak with his new betrothed.

But Aemond could not move, let alone speak, merely watching his new betrothed carefully as she spoke and laughed with her younger brothers. His eye narrowed, before he turned back to Otto and shook his head again. He would not speak with her.

"Lana, try." Camryn leant over his brother, placing some food on his sister's plate. "Is this not wonderful?"

Alaelanna smiled, chewing on the glazed carrots that he had given her. The food that they were eating tonight was more rich and lavish than what they normally had at Alterwoode, so this was a treat for the young boy.