xii. chases

CHAPTER TWELVE ─── chases

          𝕬laelanna would admit that following Aemond Targaryen was possibly not her smartest idea, nor was taunting him with every twist and turn. She knew that he was growing annoyed with her, as she always managed to hide in the blind spot of his left eye, where she knew that he could not see her.

When he finally did catch her, Alaelanna knew that she only had herself to blame. She had grown too fond of teasing him that she had forgotten her original purpose, which was to see how heavily guarded the dragon pits were and see if she could sneak Littlewing out. 

Alaelanna would not leave this foul place without her dragon.

"Wait here." As soon as Aemond turned away from her, Alaelanna made to walk off again. His hand grasped the back of her collar, yanking as she was pulled away. "Alaelanna, I said wait."

"I did not hear."

"You did not listen."

"Why would I?" Alaelanna snarked, but the hand remained tight as she was yanked up once more, twisting around. Her uncle, Aegon, was in the arms of a knight, his eyes bleary and form stumbling. Criston Cole was pointing a sword at the knight, whilst Aemond just hummed and tensed in an effort to look intimidating. 

"I do regret this, friend." Alaelanna was surprised that Ser Criston had any friends, or that he could still fight, considering his limp had been getting progressively worse as the days went by.

"I see they caught you too." Aegon's infuriating voice filled her ear, as she turned to raise an eyebrow at the still, unbelievably, drunk man ahead of her. "It appears, niece, that the gods favour neither of us."

"The gods always favour me." Alaelanna smirked, as Aemond turned to glare down at her. "For, when your burnt bodies are flung from the castle walls, I will still be alive to watch."

Both of her uncles glared as best they could, though Alaelanna found neither intimidating. It was like a sheep pretending to be a wolf, something so bizarre that Alaelanna wished to burst into laughter.

Everything went silent for a moment, before Aegon shoved his captor off of him and sprinted in one direction, hurtling down the stairs at a surprising pace. Ser Criston seemed to block the knight off, as Aemond and Alaelanna shot each other a look, before both consecutively realising what they had done and turning away from each other in disgust.

Aemond, who still had a tight hold on the back of Alaelanna's cloak, dragged her with him down the stairs as he barrelled after his brother. He let go of her as they reached the bottom of the stairs to tackle his brother to the floor, and Alaelanna took that moment to run again, before a hand grasped onto her foot.