twenty

CHAPTER TWENTY: the rivalry begins

         The next day, she headed towards the ducks table in the cafeteria when a hand grabbed her shoulder, holding her in place.

behind her stood rick. "varsity tables over there," he said, nodding across the room.

slowly, she nodded. "okay." she said, turning and continuing to her friends.

rick walked in front of her, blocking her from the ducks table. "what now?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"you can't sit over there. you're varsity now. you don't want to sit with your new teammates?" he asked, copying her stance.

"i'd like to sit with my friends." she said, but rick didn't give up.

he raised an eyebrow. "your friends, or your boyfriend, conway?"

she frowned. "he's not my boyfriend."

rick grinned, his hand finding the small of her back as he led her to the varsity table. "good. then you have no reason not to sit with us."

he pulled out a chair for her, before sitting down next to her. he began to introduce her to some of the other varsity players, some of whom were nicer than others.

the boy on her other side shook her hand, smiling what seemed like a genuine smile at her as he introduced himself. "i'm scott, the goalie. you can call me scooter."

she shook his hand. "well in that case, it's nice to meet you, scooter. i'm andrea."

after a few minutes of eating and talking, mostly to rick and scott, andrea temporarily excused herself to go dump out the garbage from her tray.

she tossed out her garbage, turning back to see cole, a varsity player who was just as dumb as he looked, bullying kenny and taking his lunch away while rick held him in place.

she frowned, putting her tray down and storming over. "give him his shit, cole."

cole opened his mouth, no doubt to insult her, but rick silenced him with a look. instead, the varsity captain looked to her and spoke. "look, you can calm down, andrea. we're messing around, it's just his lunch."

"i don't care. let go of him." she said, crossing her arms.

rick looked at her for a second, before sighing and letting go of ken. he raised his arms in surrender, looking annoyed but still smiling at her somewhat sarcastically.

she snatched kens lunch from cole, handing it over to him. ken smiled thankfully at her, rushing off before the varsity players changed their minds.

"way to kill the mood, jones." cole spat, looking upset.

"you don't have to bully the ducks. they're new here, they haven't done anything to you. im not saying be friends with them, just don't outright bully them." she told him.