\SEVENTEEN\

"But, Mr. Davis, what makes you so sure that I would be able to complete the task you gave me this time?"

I had told Mr. Davis, everything that happened back in New Jersey.

How I had found Thomas's labatory and how my meet up with Thomas had gone and how I felt whilst it all happened.

This wasn't easy. None of it was. But all I could do was try and try and just try...

Even though it knackered the heck out of me.

"Oh, Ed..." Mr. Davis sighed, removing his reading glasses and rubbing his eyes. After what felt like an eternity, he finally looked at me. His blue eyes looked tired. Was I the one causing his fatigue with all my questions? "You know you're going to be able to complete this task successfully. I mean, you did it last time, didn't you? What makes you think you won't?"

Mr. Davis, being the optimistic man, he was, of course, believed that I would finish this task without fail, just like last time.

But, I—on the other hand—wasn't so sure, just like always.

The thing was, despite Mr. Davis assured and encouraged me that I could do it every single time, I—being an ordinary man who never had much faith in himself—couldn't believe him, no matter how hard I tried.

"Edward? Are you alright?" he got up from his chair and stepped closer an inch.

"Yes, I'm alright... just lost in thought. And to answer your question, I think you have every idea as to why I think I won't be able to do it this time. I. Am. Not. Cut. Out. For. This," I huffed and glanced up at Mr. Davis. He looked taken aback. But what could I do? I wasn't made for this. "I—I apologize. I didn't mean to snap."

"No, it's alright. I understand. You weren't born into this. It's all still very new for you, and I genuinely understand that. I brought you into this, and I'll definitely help you every step of the way. Don't worry, Ed. I'm here for you. You're stronger and smarter than you realize—much more than me, you know," he chuckled. I smiled, feeling incredibly fortunate to have a mentor like him. Drawing closer, he placed a hand on my shoulder. "You. Can. Do. This. I believe in you, son. You should, too. That's why I chose you to finish what I started."

Finish what I started? What did he mean by that? Before I could ask, he hugged me, wrapping his arms around my shoulders. I hugged him back.

"I won't let you down, Mr. Davis."

"I know you won't, son. I know."

I could do this. All I had left was to see it through. At least this way, I could bring happiness to my wife, my mum, my dad—even if I couldn't save them, even if they weren't here to witness it. I aimed to prove that, even in their absence, I could be the Edward I was before they passed away.

All I could hope for was that they were watching from above.

-

We practiced for hours on end, countless days and weeks slipping away as we prepared.

Mr. Davis rigorously tested my meditation and teleportation skills. We engaged in role-playing scenarios, simulating interactions relevant to our project.

"Alright, move this table from its spot to the far corner of the room," he directed, indicating the distant left corner before clasping his hands behind his back.

"Why?" I inquired.

"Because your success will demonstrate the strength of your meditation, thereby affecting your teleportation speed. Do you understand?"

"Yes, sir."

He nodded, "Very well. Begin."

With closed eyes, I delved into meditation, focusing intensely amidst the mounting pressure. My heart raced, pounding with the weight of concentration.