one

Grosvenor Square, 1813.

Dearest reader,
the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Featherington. Three misses foisted upon the marriage market like sorrowful sows by their tasteless, tactless mama.

"Tighter!" Lady Featherington demanded as the maid tightened the corset around Prudence's waist.

"Is she to breathe, mama?" Penelope asked, worriedly.

"I was able to squeeze my waist into the size of an orange and a half when I was Prudence's age." Lady Featherington announced proudly, "Your sister shall do the same."

Far better odds might exist in the household of the widowed Marchioness of Canterbury, taking up the role as head of household after her mother's untimely passing. Just in time to lead her rosy-cheeked sister into her season debut.

"Chin up." Marianne Wentworth gently ordered as her little sister stood in the centre of the room.

Lucille did as her sister told her, eager to be the picture of elegance.

Marianna smiled, "Good, now practice your curtesy." She watched as Lucille did as she was told, stooping low but not too low, her posture straight with her rosy lips straightened into a gracious line. Marianna smiled, "Perfect."

Lucille beamed, "Do you think I'm ready, sister?"

Marianna brushed a strand of lose hair from her little sister's face, "I never doubted just how ready you were for a second."

As they would also exist in the household
of the widowed Viscountess Bridgerton. A shockingly prolific family, noted for its bounty of perfectly handsome sons and perfectly beautiful daughters.

"I am already roasting." Eloise complained as she walked down the staircase of her household with her sisters in tow. Tugging on the collar of her frilly dress.

Francesca laughed, "Are you to complain the entire day, Eloise?"

Eloise's eyes widened, "Surely I cannot be expected to bear these fashions the entire day?"

Hyacinth however seemed to think differently as she swished the skirts of her dress, "I feel like a princess. Do I look like one?" She asked.

"Do you truly wish to know what I think you look like?" Eloise asked with a sneer.

"On your left!" Gregory suddenly appeared from the stairs, tagging Hyacinth's shoulder as she began to race after him.

"Is our dear sister still not ready?" Benedict asked as he approached his two little sisters.

"She's only been readying herself the entire night." Francesca told him.

Eloise rolled her eyes, "You mean her entire life."

"I shall run upstairs and hasten her along." Colin announced as he made his way to the bottom of the staircase, only for his big brother to follow.

"Colin, wait, I'll do it." He offered. Colin brushed him off.

"She likes me better than you, Benedict." He informed him instantly making Benedict's face screw up in confusion.