seven

Dearest gentle reader, it is often said that those who marry in haste must repent at leisure, a sentiment that is clearly shared by Miss Daphne Bridgerton, who has apparently rejected not one, not two, but three proposals already this week. Some believe she is showing admirable forethought in her deliberations, but I would venture a different conjecture, that she, like this author, is still waiting on the only suitor of note.

The same seems to be said for a certain young Miss Lucille Dawson, who has already turned down five proposals since her first debut ball. Is there another suitor the season's pearl is waiting on? Or is there to be a new love found right around the corner?

"Apparently they say a prince is to arrive in London." Lucille informed her sister as the stood to the side at another ball of the season.

Marianne was drawn out of her deep thoughts of a certain viscount at this remark, "Is there indeed? I wonder what business he has here."

Lucille grinned, "They say that his royal highness is on the search for a new young miss." She played with the hem of her glove nervously, "I wonder what he's like."

"Well, let us hope he is a kind young gentlemen. Not prone to using his title to get what he wants." Marianne spoke, praying that perhaps the prince would be as kind as her sister.

Lucille nodded firmly, "Yes, I hope so too. Title isn't everything you know."

Marianne smiled proudly, "I see I have taught you well." She spoke making her sister giggle.

"I wonder, where is William?" Lucille suddenly spoke, looking around for their brother.

Marianne sighed, "Probably off somewhere romancing Prudence Featherington." However the sisters didn't have enough time to discuss more of the subject when music announced their royal arrival.

The queen and the prince entered, and like a flock of desperate swans, young debutantes swarmed them. Lucille stood on her toes to catch a clearer glimpse of the prince, "Well, he does seem rather handsome." She told her sister.

Marianne nodded, "Courteous too." She witnessed the way he would bow and smile politely to each young lady as he passed.

Cressida Cowper seemed intent on capturing his interest as she practically shoved her way into his eye-line. He gave her a polite nod as she curtseyed flirtatiously, although it didn't exactly seem to sway his royal highness.

Lucille seemed rather anticipated, "Can you introduce me, Mari?" She asked quietly.

Her sister only smiled, noticing the way the queen seemed to glance to Lucille every now and again, as if wanting the prince to arrive to where the sisters stood.

"Do not fret, sister." She told her calmly, "Let him come to you."

Eventually the queen and the prince came to a stop before them. The queen beamed, "Prince Freidrich, this is the young lady I was telling you about. The pearl of the season."

Lucille blushed at the introduction, curtseying gracefully before the prince. Marianne subtly smiled at the way the prince seemed almost starstruck by her sister's beauty.

"So, lovely to meet you, Miss Dawson." He spoke to her, bowing before her, "Your gown is simply beautiful, much like the one who wears it."