two

"A Mr. William Dawson is here to see you ma'am." The footman announced and Marianne resisted an eye roll at the familiar name.

"Yes, alright, send him in." She waved as Alice babbled up at her mother from where she sat in her lap.

"I was going to come in anyway." William appeared quickly from around the corner before the footman could fetch him. Marianna rolled her eyes.

"Always one for the dramatic entrance's brother." She shook her head as she concealed a smile at the sight of the mischievous grin she'd missed so much. She dismissed the footman with a polite nod which was returned, the study doors shutting behind him.

William simply shrugged, "Well, it definitely makes it more fun, sister." He teased. Marianne gave him a look but his focus was only on Alice as he swooped down and picked up his niece. She giggled as William made funny faces at her, "Besides I missed my darling little niece and nephew. Speaking of. . . where is that little rascal?"

Marianne sighed. Her eldest, Thomas, constantly reminded her of William. They shared their cheekiness and need to constantly put themselves in the centre of everything, only to wreak havoc all around them. This meant Marianna had to spend his visits running around after, not two, but three little children instead.

"He's out, playing with Gregory and Hyacinth." She informed him. The Dawsons had been close with the Bridgertons since Lady Danbury had first introduced Violet to their mother, the families inseparable ever since.

Being the eldest daughters of their families, Marianna found herself and Daphne forming a rather strong bond over the years. Lucille had taken to Eloise, and regularly went off with her and Penelope. And William used to spend a lot of his time running around with the Bridgerton boys, causing trouble at every turn.

After Marianne married Sir August, her connections to the Bridgertons weren't as frequent, but still there. She just never had much of a chance to see them in person. Her and Daphne wrote to each other at least once a fortnight, mostly the younger debutant inquiring about Thomas and baby Alice. In which Marianna would gladly reply.

She must make a visit to her soon.

William hummed, disappointed at his nephew's absence, "Well, that's a shame. I just purchased these new inventions called firecrackers from a store during my travels in China I had —,"

"No." Marianne swiftly cut off his train of thought as her brother gaped at her.

"You don't even know what I was going to say, did she?" He asked the final part to Alice who was bundled in his arms, sucking on her fingers, "Your mama is very judgemental, isn't she?"

Marianne narrowed her eyes, "Stop manipulating my child, brother." She spoke as she moved to take her daughter back from her flaky brother, "God knows you've already succeeded with one."

William gasped, placing a hand against his chest, "I'm wounded."

Marianne shook her head with a small smile, "So, brother," she began, steering the conversation, "what brings you to London? I'm hoping your sister's debut, and not some gambling debts you need settling."

William scoffed, "You think so low of me, sister." He said as he collapsed into the couch opposite the marchioness, "But yes, someone needs the lead the ill-intent gentleman away from our little sister's luring light of elegance."