three

Daphne sat with her mother and younger siblings in the drawing room at the Bridgerton household. There had so far been no suitors curious on taking her hand, and it was beginning to bother the young debutante.

Suddenly the doors opened and Daphne and Violet stood excitedly, only for their moods to deflate when the Viscount walked through the door.

"Anthony." Daphne exclaimed at her brothers arrival, admittedly annoyed at his obvious attempts to keep suitors away, "I did not expect to see you here this morning."

"It is terribly early for you dearest." His mother agreed.

"I could not sleep for some reason. All the excitement, I presume." He explained with a dry tone of voice, he looked around the room, "Am I the first gentleman to arrive? How wonderful!" Daphne glared a little at her brother as he sat down in the armchair.

Suddenly the door opened once more and the footman stepped in making Daphne stand, "The Marchioness Wentworth for Miss Bridgerton." He announced. Daphne was a little disappointed that it was not a suitor, but it disappeared the minute a small familiar boy ran into the room.

"Auntie Daph!" He exclaimed running up to the girl who smiled as he wrapped his arms around her legs.

"Hello, young Thomas." She greeted gleefully as Marianne entered the room.

"Thomas!" She protested, "What did I say about running off?" She asked her son as she stared at him incredulously.

"Sorry, mama." He apologised.

"Oh, it is no trouble, Lady Wentworth." Violet assured her, walking towards the young woman, "It has been so long." Marianne smiled as Violet embraced her.

"Too long, Lady Bridgerton." Marianne smiled politely and Violet's attention turned to Alice who was balanced on her mother's hip.

"And I remember this little one." She delighted as she lifted the babbling baby out of her mother's arms, "Well, haven't you grown?" Alice made happy noises at the attention she was receiving as Violet took her over to the couch, Francesca and Hyacinth eager to see the small baby.

Marianne then turned her sights on Daphne as Thomas sat next to her on the couch, "No suitors I presume?" She asked, her sharp eyes cutting into Anthony accusingly who only shot her a look of innocence in return.

Daphne sighed as her oldest friend took a seat beside her, "No, I'm afraid not. But I will not give up hope. Some young gentleman will have to appear sooner or later."

"Or not at all would be preferable." Anthony made his unwanted opinion known, making the two young women shoot him a look.

Marianne turned back to Daphne with a sigh, "I'm sure it will all work out." She reassured her, "The beginning of my season wasn't easy either, but now I'm a marchioness, with two children of my own. You will find a young gentleman worthy of your time, I promise."

Daphne nodded before inquiring, "And how is Lucille doing? Any suitors appearing for her hand?"

Marianne huffed out a small laugh, "What suitor hasn't? I assume you've read Whistledown." Her tone wasn't really boasting, it seemed more tired than anything else, "I decided I needed to get the children away from all the fuss, and I did promise that visit." She reminded her of last night making Daphne smile.