eight

Apparently at last nights ball Daphne and the Duke hardly payed any attention to one another, as Daphne spent the entirety of the evening dancing with any other young man. It also spoke in length about Lucille and the prince, how they seemed to have taken Daphne and the Duke's spot as the most distinguished match of the season.

Marianne had unfortunately been unable to attend the festivities as Alice had come down with a rather nasty cold. And not wanting to simply leave her daughter with the maids whilst she was sick, Marianne decided to stay with her daughter, and allow William to escort Lucille to the ball alone.

Later, the very next day, Lucille and Marianne were being escorted into the palace on invitation of Prince Freidrich and the queen.

Lucille kept a gracious smile on her face as she nodded at groups of royalty as they passed. They were whispering quite feverishly about the new arrival and Lucille was trying to not let it get on her nerves.

Finally the two came to a stop at a sort of snack table, where all sorts of expensive foods were placed and arranged, although it all seemed untouched.

"Well," Marianne sighed, "everyone already seems to have quite an opinion of you." She pointed out at all the gossiping gentlemen and ladies around the room.

Lucille took a deep breath, "I know. I just hope Freidrich arrives soon." She spoke hopefully.

Marianne gave a small, teasing smile, "Oh, Freidrich now is it?" She pointed out the informalities instantly making Lucille's cheeks flush.

She shrugged, "He insisted." She murmured.

"Well, I'm glad you two are getting along well." Marianne said with a gentle smile.

Lucille sighed happily, "The last few days have been a dream." She admitted, "Sometimes I wish our time together will never end."

Marianne took her sisters hands in hers, "I believe that your wish will be made true soon enough, when the prince proposes."

Lucille chuckled gently before her eyes suddenly blew wide, "You don't think that's what this is do you?" She asked implying the prince was going to drop to one knee in front of all his guests and propose.

Marianne shook her head, "No, I believe the prince will make it a more private affair as to not pressure you so much." She told her, feeling as though big proposals in front of everyone wasn't the prince's style, "And according to William he hasn't approached him about the matter yet. So do not worry."

Lucille nodded and breathed in deeply. But before the sisters could carry on their conversation the double doors opened to reveal the queen with the prince at her side. Lucille had to immediately hold back a wide grin at the very sight of him. Freidrich's eyes softened at the sight of Lucille the minute the doors opened, it was rather adorable.

A footman stepped through, "Her Majesty Queen Charlotte and her esteemed nephew, Prince Friedrich of Prussia."

Lucille tried to take her time as she walked towards the prince, Marianne following, but keeping a few steps behind. They curtsied as they stopped in front of them.

"Miss Dawson." Prince Freidrich greeted, " I find myself in raptures over your acceptance of my invitation to the palace."

Lucille smiled, "Indeed, it was very kind of you, your highness."