nine

As we all know, there is nothing this author loves more than a scandal, and tonight's soiree promises more than its fair share, courtesy of the recently widowed Lady Trowbridge.

Some may call her celebrations too provocative, and I would caution any young lady from getting caught up in the sensual nature of her fêtes.

For one scandalous move between an unwed couple, a wayward touch, or heaven forbid, a kiss, would banish any young lady from society in a trail of ruin.

The Trowbridge Ball was certainly a sight to behold. Golden cages holding glittery women spinning on suspended hoops lined the steps leading into the venue, with fire-wielding performers dancing around outside. The interior was a burst of extravagance, from the floral centrepieces to the golden candles that flickered along the walls.

Lucille was nervously fiddling with her crystal necklace as she peered around for her Prince.

"I am sure he will arrive soon." Marianne assured her sister, placing a hand against her shoulder.

Lucille started slightly from her nerves and sighed, "What if he does not show? What if he can no longer stand to be around me?"

"Then he is a fool." William swiftly cut in, a firm look on his face, "And your brother shall beat him into the floor for hurting his little sister." Marianne shot him a look. William raised his eyebrows, "Don't look at me like that. You know you'd do the same if you could."

Marianna only sighed and shook her head, turning back to her nervous sister, "You must see the way the prince looks at you. It's as if he has never been graced with such a beautiful soul ever in his life."

She smiled at Lucille who took a deep breath and returned it, "You're right. I'm just slightly worried, I suppose."

"It is perfectly natural." Marianne said.

"Not me." Both girls resisted a groan as their brother puffed out his chest and grinned cockily, "I'm a master of charm and confidence. Just follow my lead sisters, and you will get through the night without a stumble."

Marianne and Lucille shared a look and a finger tapped at William's shoulder. He turned with an arrogant grin only for his resolve to melt when a smiling Prudence Featherington met his gaze.

"I managed to escape my mama." She said, happiness nearly as bright and shimmering as her dress, "You look rather handsome this evening, Mr. Dawson."

William had a moment where he seemed to be chocking on his own tongue, and he eventually put together a sentence that sounded faintly like, "Uh. . . gah."

Marianne and Lucille stifled their laughs behind gloved hands as Prudence had to lead their 'charmingly confident' brother onto the dance floor before he fainted in happiness.

"How long do you think before our dear brother proposes?" Lucille asked, watching as the two began to dance together.

"Well," Marianne began, "Being halfway through the season, I suppose we shan't have to wait long."

Lucille furrowed her brow as she looked over to where Lady Featherington was looking at her daughter's love match with a rather pinched expression on her face, "Why do you suppose Lady Featherington is so opposed to this match? I thought she wanted her daughters married as soon as possible."

Marianne let out a heavy sigh, her eyes landing on the bitter redheaded woman, "Our family and the Featherington's have never had the best relationship, sister. They always hated how despite our equal social standing our family was always treated more highly than hers."