Girls Like Me.

Maya~

It's a slow day.

I'd never say that out loud otherwise our lives would turn upside down and we'd be here for the rest of the night. We've had a few sick kids come in. A few people needed sutures. That's it.

I watch the cardiac and vital monitors with Anne, my co-worker, as I eat my lunch. "Have you found anyone yet?"

I roll my eyes, "Why are we on this again? I don't have time."

"Everyone has time. You make time, Maya."

I shrug, "Nobody wants to date a nurse with crazy hours."

"You're just looking for the wrong guys. I found one. I mean, that was thirty years ago."

"Anne, times have changed. Everything is about sex nowadays."

"How sad."

"You're telling me?"

She gets up after her pager sounds, "I'll be back."

Anne is the sweetest lady. She has worked in the emergency department for almost thirty years. She's grown with this department. I've only been here a couple of years and somehow, I've outranked her even though she deserves it way more than I do.

After finishing my lunch, I look through my charts to make sure they are up to date. Anne comes back and hands me the chart in her hands, "You should take this one."

I look at the chart, "It's a laceration. He just needs a few stitches."

"Maya, I'm telling you that you should take this one. I'm doing you a favor."

"Anne, I've known you long enough to know you've been doing stitches for thirty years. You can handle it."

"Maya, take it. You will not regret it."

I sigh, giving in, "What room?"

"Exam room 2."

I start walking toward the room, "You're welcome," she sings.

I knock on the door, "Yeah?" the patient says.

I walk in, "Hey, how are you feeling? I'm Maya, I'll be taking care of you instead of the nurse that was just in here" I say, looking down at the chart.

He laughs, "Well, I've felt better."

I look up to see the man sitting in front of me, holding a towel to his forehead. I see why Anne sent me back. She thinks I have a chance with this handsome man. This isn't the first time she's done this either. I should've expected this from her. I set the chart on the small counter and grab a pair of gloves.

"Can I have you lay back?"

He lays back on the pillow and I take the towel off of his forehead, revealing a laceration just above his eyebrow. "How bad is it?"

"You just need a few stitches, that's all. How'd this happen?" I ask, sitting down on the stool after placing the towel back on his cut.

I throw my gloves away and grab my tablet but continue to log in to the computer in the room. "I was playing baseball and dived to get the ball but then my teammate got it before me and his cleat got my face."

"Ouch. Metal?"

"Yeah."

"Then how long ago did this happen?"

"What time is it?"

"4:30."

"About two hours ago."

"Your friend must've got you good if it's still bleeding."