❀ Chapter 33 ❀

Rachel fixes my hair as I look out the window of Bea's bedroom onto the London street. I can't believe how much has happened over the last days. The day after Edmund's proposal, I spent a lovely day with Charlotte and Henry and they could not be more excited that Lord Westworth and I are to marry. Charlotte gushed about the ring. Henry said I couldn't have picked a finer man, he really looks up to Edmund.  I smile with the realization that once I am at Beaumont, the Havishams will be so close that I can visit them every day. And once Tanner teaches me to ride, I can go on my own to see them. 

We came back to London yesterday and Edmund has already asked for Uncle Tufton's blessing on our engagement and he, of course, gave it. Uncle Tufton is probably glad to get me out of his hair. Bea says that by marrying an Earl I am elevating her in the marriage market. I am glad, she is such a dear. This must be why Aunt Tufton has not reprimanded me for anything over the last few days.

Today, Edmund, his mother, and I are to taste food samples for the wedding breakfast. Lady Westworth has thrown herself wholeheartedly into planning the most elaborate wedding possible. There will be a celebration both before and after the ceremony, as well as an engagement party in three weeks. I have never heard of an engagement party, these people in London will use any excuse to celebrate and drink champagne. Edmund says his mother is now very excited for our wedding but I am suspicious that she is planning such a spectacular wedding to make up for the 'less than impressive' bride. Anyone seeing me next to Edmund will certainly find me wanting. Especially after how striking he looked when he was with Regina.

Yesterday, Lady Westworth, Rachel and I went shopping for my wedding gown. The seamstress measured every inch of me. Edmund's mother and Rachel insisted upon the most elaborate laces and trims. The white gown will be entirely encrusted with a pattern of beads and pearls. It seems excessive for a dress that I will wear only once. But it made the two of them happy, so who am I to argue?

I stand up and spin and Rachel approves my look with a nod and smile. She helps me on with my Spencer coat and gloves for my outing. Edmund is to send a carriage for me to join him and his mother at his London home. As I descend the stairs, I can hear that Aunt Tufton and Bea have morning visitors. I do not recognize the voices. The carriage will be here momentarily, so I decide not to go into the parlor and join them. Unfortunately, I hear something that was not intended for my ears.

It is an older lady's voice, "Well, I just wanted you to know that everyone is concerned. Some are certain that your niece enticed the Earl to that room alone and threw herself at him, hoping someone would happen upon them and they would be forced to marry." There are murmurs among the other guests at this woman's disgraceful statement. "Lord Westworth would be an advantageous match for any lady, but for your niece to marry so far above her station is quite shocking. What does she have to offer him? Nothing! Of course, the Earl being such a fine gentleman, the only thing he could do was to propose. Can you imagine what people would be saying if he did not?" There are more gasps uttered at the scandalous thought.

To her credit I hear my aunt say, "I do not think Beth would do such a thing. She is an odd girl, to be sure, but she has shown no signs of being wicked. Have you seen them together? There is no awkwardness, they seem quite enamored of each other."

The other lady adds, "Well, I did have it on good authority that he was intending to propose to someone else that day. A certain red haired beauty that I think we all can agree would have made him a more suitable bride. Oh! And did you hear that..."

The butler interrupts my eaves dropping, "Your carriage has arrived, Miss."

My head is swimming as I step out the door and into the carriage. How could people say such horrible things about me? If gossip is to be believed, I want Edmund for his money and title and I trapped him into marrying me. I shake my head, Edmund knows this is not true. But I cannot help but wonder who all has heard the rumor and believes it. I would be crushed to think that our friends or family believed any of this disparaging gossip. I was away visiting the Havishams on the last day of the house party so apart from a few 'congratulations' I didn't get a chance to talk with many of them.