❀ Chapter 38 ❀

We have been here in London for a day and we are already preparing to attend a ball. All of the clothing Edmund gave to me at Beaumont are here in my room at Lady Snow's townhome. In addition there are several new ballgowns from the dressmaker that is preparing my wedding dress. One is the most beautiful petrol blue taffeta gown with silver embroidery that I am wearing this evening. It has puffs to the short sleeves and a slight train on the back.

I regret to say that in my hurry to leave London those weeks ago I never even thought of what would happen to poor Rachel. I knew she was being paid by Edmund but by the time I actually considered what would happen to her position after I left, I was already with Lady Snow. But now that I have her back, she has told me that Edmund gave her a short vacation to visit her family and still paid her salary. I suppose that is best because everyone would assume I would take her with me since I was going on a supposed visit to a friend's home. I think Rachel was as excited to see me as I was to see her. She did not ask where I have been or why I left so abruptly without her, thank goodness.

Edmund has come to Lady Snow's townhome to pick us up and escort us to the ball. He has been most attentive over the last days. He gives me a look of adoration when he sees me in my new gown. My heart beats faster as he walks over to take my hands and pull me to stand close in front of him. 

"You will be the most beautiful lady at the ball, Lizzy. I knew that color would look most becoming on you. It is a bit of a shame that none of the other ladies will be admired as all the men will be looking at you." 

I cannot help but giggle at the ridiculousness of his exaggeration. "Edmund," I admonish him. 

He gives me an innocent look. "I only speak the truth, Lizzy." Lady Snow laughs with approval and we are off.

Edmund hands us up into the carriage and again Edmund and I are seated next to one another. His mother is seated next to Lady Snow. She greeted me yesterday like I was her long lost daughter. She refused to let go of my hand and we talked for hours over the wedding plans. 

I am so grateful to have her planning the wedding, even if it will never occur. I find I am not overly concerned about the details. Is it my personality or the fact that I don't know if the wedding will actually take place? I think it is my personality because I was not interested in the details even when I was sure I was to marry him.

Lady Snow has proven to be a respected chaperone. Edmund's mother and her seem to be as thick as thieves already. It is not lost on me that Lady Snow has put her reputation on the line by not divulging Edmund and my time alone in her house. I believe she is fond of Edmund. In our discussions she seems to approve of him in every way.

The ball tonight is at William's house and it is in honor of Edmund and I being betrothed. His home being in town, the carriage ride is short and we are among the first to arrive since we are the guests of honor.

We are greeted by William's family as we enter the impressive foyer. I remember this grand house from the card party, months ago. Everyone is so gracious, offering their congratulations. It is particularly good to see William again. "Lord Saville! It is so wonderful to see you!"

"I am sure you cannot possibly be as happy to see me as I am to see you, Miss Cavendish. And please, call me Will now that you are engaged to my best friend."

"Alright, then you must call me Beth in return." He nods in agreement.

We move through the rest of the line. Daniel greets me exuberantly. "There you are! We have missed you so much! You were gone so long on your visit and we were in despair that you would never return!" Edmund squeezes my side a bit at Daniel's words. Daniel cannot know how close to the truth he has it.