chapter 40

"HOW LONG HAS HE BEEN GONE?"

"Hard to say." Rick replied as he stepped out of the shed where they kept Randall, "The cuffs are still hooked. He must' slipped 'em."

"Is that possible?" Carol asked,

"It is if you've got nothing to lose." Marcie replied,

Vivian didn't get why they were so worried. Randall was still not fully recovered from his injury, and he doesn't have a weapon. He couldn't have been that far into the woods. And even then, he doesn't exactly know his way around. Daryl should be able to find him easily.

"Rick! Rick!" They heard someone screaming from the treeline. They turned to see Shane exiting the woods, blooding running down his face and chest,

"What happened?" Lori asked as Shane approached them,

"He's armed!" Shane ignored her question, "He's got my gun!"

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine. Little bastard just snuck up on me." Shane growled, "He clocked me in the face."

Marcie narrowed her eyes at the man, it doesn't add up. Randall, skinny, injured, underfed Randall, snuck up on Shane and knocked him out and stole his gun? Doesn't seem likely.

Rick turned to the group, "All right, Hershel, T-Dog, get everybody back in the house. Glenn, Marcie, Daryl, come with us." Rick looked over at the younger woman, "Go grab a gun."

Marcie nodded and sprinted towards the house,

"Just let him go. That was the plan, wasn't it, to just let him go?" Carol asked,

"The plan was to cut him loose far away from here, not on our front step with a gun." Rick growled,

"Don't go out there. Ya'll know what can happen!" Carol shouted,

"Get everybody back in the house. Lock all the doors and stay put!"  Rick yelled as they began walking towards the woods.

Marcie grabbed her gun from her bag and spotted the flare gun she found on the highway. Without a thought, she stuffed it into her waistband before running back out, following after the men who had already started walking away.

She accidentally kicked something metal that was hidden in the leaves. Marcie glanced up at the men walking in the woods before kneeling down and brushing the leaves away to reveal a gun.

Shane's gun.

Marcie put the gun in the back of her waistband before catching up with the men,

"I saw him head up through the trees that way before I blacked out." Shane explained as they got to the spot where he was knocked out, "I'm not sure how long."