CHAPTER 9: THE VICTIM

(Previously)

"Selene.", softly called Stern.

"Hmm?"

"I'm your bestfriend, right?"

"Right!", the child joyfully answered.

"I have something to tell you.", convincingly said Stern. "You see, before I came here, there are bad people outside. They told me that they'd hurt me if you don't do something at the puppy.".

Selene looked worried for the General, "Do something?".

"Yes, or else they'll hurt me. Or worse they will even hurt you too.", bluffed Stern. "Do you want that?".

"NO!", Selene answered teary-eyed.

"Now then, you should hold this.", Stern then handed the revolver in Selene's hand. "Aim it at the puppy.".

Selene hesitantly followed as her little hands shake in fear. Stern then gently helped align Selene's body while aiming.

"Good. Now, you pull the trigger.", Stern nicely asked.

Selene immediately turned her head to the General.

"Why? What's wrong?"

"W-what will happen to the puppy?", curiously asked the child as her hands continue to shake.

"You will help the puppy ease his pain.", nodded Stern.

"B-but... Daddy used to have one of these. He said it's dangerous and never play with it. It could hurt someone.", reasoned the child.

General Stern continues to persuade Selene, "But the bad guys will hurt me. Do you want me to get hurt? I can't come here anymore if they hurt me.".

Tears just silently rolled down the child's face, "I... I don't wanna you to get hurt. I don't wanna hurt the puppy...".

"It's alright. You're a brave girl, you can do it.".

"I... can't.", Selene then dropped the pistol on the floor and started to cover her face and cry.

The hard realization suddenly hit Stern while looking at the little girl crying. He took another deep breath and hugged the child while rubbing her back.

"It's okay. I'm going to be alright. I won't let those bad guys hurt us.", Stern softly said as he calms her down.

After a brief moment, Selene slowly calmed down and the General wiped her tears away.

"Come. Let's go back to your room. You should have some rest.", pitied Stern.

He stood up and opened the door. Selene immediately ran out and went straight to her room.